Not available in 2018/19
MG484 Half Unit
Global Sourcing and Management of Business and IT Services
This information is for the 2018/19 session.
Prof Leslie Willcocks NAB 3.23
This course is available on the CEMS Exchange, Global MSc in Management, Global MSc in Management (CEMS MiM), Global MSc in Management (MBA Exchange), MBA Exchange, MRes/PhD in Management (Information Systems and Innovation), MSc in Management (1 Year Programme) and MSc in Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation. This course is available with permission as an outside option to students on other programmes where regulations permit.
None, but a basic understanding of sourcing principles and of management in organisations is useful. A list of selected readings will be provided for students who require this background understanding.
The course focuses on global sourcing strategies and practices of corporations and government agencies. It examines these in Europe, Americas and Asia Pacific in the context of increasing globalisation of organisational intent, capabilities and sources of service supply. The course provides an understanding of how international business is pursued, convergence and differences across organisations and countries, business strategies and 'fit' with IT governance and sourcing approaches, and how sourcing of business and IT services is managed, focusing especially on outsourcing and offshoring decisions and implementation.
20 hours of lectures and 9 hours of seminars in the LT.
A reading week will take place in W6. There will be no teaching during this week.
Classes are based around reading and discussing selected journal articles and teaching cases from the course study pack. Formative feedback is provided on weekly class preparation and participation. There is a mock examination.
- Cullen, S., Lacity, M. and Willcocks, L. (2014). Outsourcing – All You Need To Know. (White Plume Publishing)
- Oshri, I., Kotlarsky, J. and Willcocks, L. (20152) The Handbook of Global Sourcing and Offshoring (Palgrave, London) - third edition.
- Willcocks, L. Cullen, S. And Craig, A. (2011) The Outsourcing Enterprise (Palgrave, London)
- Willcocks, L. and Lacity, M. (eds) (2009) Outsourcing Information Systems: Perspectives, Practices and Globalization 3 volumes. (Sage, London).- collection of 50 recent refereed journal papers by multiple authors).
- Davenport, T. et al., (2010) Strategic Management In The Innovation Economy: Strategic Approaches and Tools For Dynamic Capabilities, (Wiley, New York).
- Willcocks, L., Venters, W. and Whitley, E. (2014) Moving To The Cloud Corporation. (Palgrave, London)
- Cousins, P. Lamming, R. et al. (2010) Strategic Supply Management : Principles Theory and Practice,. Prentice Hall, London
- Galliers, R. and Leidner, D. (2009) Strategic Information Management. Routledge, London
- Peng, M. And Meyer, K. (2012) International Business.(South Western Gengage Learning, New York)
- Ghemawat, P. (2007) Redefining Global Strategy. Harvard Business School Press, Boston
- Willcocks, L. Rugman, A and Collinson, S. (20142) Global Business Management. (Steve Brookes Publishing)
Exam (100%, duration: 3 hours) in the summer exam period.
Total students 2017/18: Unavailable
Average class size 2017/18: Unavailable
Controlled access 2017/18: No
Value: Half Unit
Personal development skills
- Problem solving
- Commercial awareness