German: Level Three (Fast Track)
This information is for the 2017/18 session.
Mrs Susanne Muller-Menckens
Knowledge and skills of German at the A2 level of CEFR are required, for example completion of the LSE Language Centre courses LN746 or LN748.
Participants should also:
- demonstrate commitment to regular attendance, completion of homework and all assessments
- dedicate at least two hours per week for coursework in addition to classes.
All students must take the online aptitude test and gain permission of the tutor in the Needs Analysis Interview to take this course.
- To develop the ability to use German effectively for purposes of practical communication in familiar contexts
- To establish the skills, language and attitudes required to promote and facilitate further study of German
- To improve the pronunciation of German sounds and sentence intonation
- To improve reading comprehension, oral and listening skills as well as written communication
- To improve accuracy in using inflexions, gender and word-order in sentences.
- To enable students to follow and discuss social, political and economic issues related to German-speaking countries at a basic to intermediate language level
- To bring students to level B1 CEFR
- Talking and writing about past events and experiences.
- Talking and writing about jobs and professions.
- Asking for and giving advice.
- Talking and writing about future plans.
- Describing the behaviour of people.
- Talking and writing about cultural and social events.
- Expressing your personal opinion in discussions and arguments
Structural Content: Improving the contextual understanding and use of grammatical structures:
- Past and future tenses
- Expressions of time and frequency
- Word order in main and subordinate clauses
- Graduating modal verbs
- Introduction of subjunctive and passive voice
16 hours of classes in the MT. 22 hours of classes in the LT. 2 hours of classes in the ST.
This is a 40 hour-course. Please refer to the LSE timetable for course teaching arrangements.
- DaF kompakt B1, Kurs- und Übungsbuch + 2 Audio-CDs, ¿(Ernst Klett Publishers), ISBN: 978-3-12-676188-8.
- DaF kompakt B1, Intensivtrainer, (Ernst Klett Publishers), ISBN: 978-3-12-676192-5.
Continuous assessment (70%) in the MT and LT.
Oral examination (30%) in the LT.
Department: Language Studies
Total students 2016/17: 15
Average class size 2016/17: 14