Mandarin: Level 4 (Fast Track)
This information is for the 2017/18 session.
Dr Lijing Shi TW3 601H
Students should have successfully completed LSE Level 3 Fast Track Course (LN716) or have learned equivalent content, see the description of “Communicative content” and “Structural Content” of Level 3 Fast Track Course (LN716). Students should: Demonstrate full commitment to regular attendance, completion of homework, and all pieces of continuous assessment. Dedicate at least two hours per week for coursework, in addition to classes. Admission onto the course after completion of the online test and upon tutor’s approval during the Needs Analysis Interview. For anyone who wants to improve Mandarin Chinese. The student should have sufficient skills in all four skills as listed above.
- To develop the ability to use Chinese effectively for purposes of practical communication and reading comprehension in a variety of contexts.
- To establish the language and study skills required to promote and facilitate further study of Chinese.
- To deepen one´s knowledge of Chinese culture and society.
- To be able to deliver presentation or write essay on a given topic.
- To improve your transferable skills.
- To bring the students to the equivalent of level B2, CEFR.
The course is focused on the following communicative functions:
- Expressing one’s opinion.
- Giving an example.
- Presenting and appreciating a gift.
- Expressing concerns.
- Describing things.
- Emphasizing an affirmation.
- Expressing modesty.
- Indicating a change.
- Making a summary.
- Giving encouragement.
- Making inquiries.
- Making estimations.
- Giving implicit response.
- Indicating possibility.
- Initiating a topic of conversation.
- Making additional remarks.
- Stressing a point.
- Telling a story.
- Reproaching and questioning.
- Talking about the climate.
- Making suggestions.
- Expressing surprise.
- Describing sequences of actions.
- Congratulating someone.
- Clarifying a point of view.
- Comforting and consoling.
- Making a decision.
This course will focus on the following grammatical areas:
- Sentence with ‘把’
- Using adverbs ‘更’, ‘最’ for comparison
- Separable verbs
- Sentence construction: ‘一边….一边...’
- Negative comparison
- The rhetorical questions
- Sentences containing a series of verbs
- Resultative complements
- The reduplication of adjectives
- The structural particle ‘地’
- Sentences indicating the existence or emergence
- The complement of state
- Approximate numbers
- Sentence construction ‘又…又...’
- Sentence construction ‘只要…就…’
- The adverb ‘就’ and ‘还’
- Potential complement
- The reduplication of nouns, measure words,
- and numeral measure word phrases
- Sentence construction ‘既…又…’
- Interrogative pronouns of indefinite denotation
- The subjectless sentence
- Sentence construction ‘连….也/都…’
- Interrogative pronouns of general denotation
- Fractions, percentages and multiples
- Sentence construction ‘一….也/都+没/不..’
- Sentence construction ‘就是…也…’
- Sentence construction ‘一….就….’
- Sentence construction ‘除了…以外, 还/都/也…’...
- Sentence construction 越…’
- Flexible uses of interrogative pronouns
- The adverbs ‘再’ and ‘又’
The course will also introduce 680 words and 280 Chinese characters.
16 hours of classes in the MT. 22 hours of classes in the LT. 2 hours of classes in the ST.
This is a 40 hour-course. Please refer to the LSE timetable for course teaching arrangements.
New practical Chinese Reader, textbook and workbook, vol. 3, by Liu Xun, Beijing Language and Culture University Press, 2007 (the textbook comes with DVD or audio materials)
Rapid Reading in Chinese -- Elementary (Hanyu Yuedu Sucheng—Jichu pian) by Zheng Rui, Beijing Language and Culture University Press. 2002
Contemporary Chinese Vol. 4, Beijing University Publishing House. 2007.
Intermediate Chinese- A Grammar and Workbook by Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington. Routledge. 2002.
The materials provided by the teacher in Moodle.
Continuous assessment (70%) in the MT and LT.
Oral examination (30%) in the LT.
Department: Language Studies
Total students 2016/17: 12
Average class size 2016/17: 11