Managing disruptive technological change has become a central global challenge of the 21st century. Rapid technological change is transforming the way people live and work, and how societies function. The impacts of new technologies (e.g. artificial intelligence, robotics, digital platforms, and social media) are felt widely in business and society: companies need to innovate and adapt at an accelerating pace if they are to stay ahead in the global competition; governments need to address new public policy challenges and redesign regulatory frameworks; and individuals and societies need to deal with novel ethical dilemmas.
The Technological Disruption: Managing the Impact on Business, Society and Politics online certificate course is designed to provide you with the tools to manage your organisation’s response to disruption. You’ll engage with a broad, multidisciplinary approach to the role that technological innovation plays in modern economies and societies, alongside an international cohort of professionals from diverse industries. Guided by LSE faculty representing a wide range of fields including economics, management, law, media and communication studies, politics and international relations, you’ll develop the knowledge needed to identify disruptive technologies and assess their potential impact in your sector. You’ll gain new strategies that you can deploy to lead your organisation through the risks and leverage the opportunities associated with technological innovation and disruption.
This online certificate course is certified by the United Kingdom CPD Certification Service, and may be applicable to individuals who are members of, or are associated with, UK-based professional bodies. The course has an estimated 70 hours of learning.
Note: should you wish to claim CPD activity, the onus is upon you. The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and GetSmarter accept no responsibility, and cannot be held responsible, for the claiming or validation of hours or points.
Registrations close: 02 March 2021
Course start (Orientation opens): 10 March 2021
Module 1 starts: 17 March 2021
Duration: 8 weeks (excluding orientation)
Commitment: 8 - 10 hours per week
- Gain a multi-disciplinary perspective on the implications and impact of technological disruption and how best to manage this within your organisation
- Discover how automation, robotics and AI are impacting and reshaping business, society and politics
- Develop an understanding of the vulnerabilities and legal frameworks at work in digital networks, from internet fraud to privacy protection and cybersecurity
- Access enhanced strategies to manage the risks associated with technological competition on the global stage
- Investigate the role that public policy and regulatory frameworks can play in addressing the ethical dilemmas that technological disruption has surfaced
- Learn to identify response strategies for disruptive technological change by drawing on a range of business and social sciences perspectives and relevant analytical frameworks
- Orientation module
- Module 1: Technological innovation and disruption in the global economy
- Module 2: Digital economy and the disruption of business models
- Module 3: Technological change and the future of work
- Module 4: Making competition policy fit for the digital economy
- Module 5: Legal responses to cybersecurity threats
- Module 6: Privacy protection in a digital era
- Module 7: Digital media and its impact on democracy
- Module 8: Global technology competition and international conflict
Convenor: Dr Robert Falkner - Associate Professor of International Relations
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is presented entirely online, in collaboration with leader in online education, GetSmarter. View this Technological Disruption: Managing the Impact on Business, Society and Politics online certificate course on the GetSmarter website.
Modules are released on a weekly basis, and can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
This interactive, supportive teaching model is designed for busy professionals and results in unprecedented certification rates for online courses.
All reading materials for this course will be made accessible to you through the Online Campus. Notes for each module are often downloadable, and you are able to save any information or collateral you use to your personal profile.