MBA-ready skills not only set you apart as a working professional or MBA applicant, they also increase your long-term career development potential. As the demand for MBA skills continues to soar, and the contemporary business environment becomes increasingly competitive, working professionals need to gain MBA-level skills in a short amount of time to get ahead.
As the demand for MBA skills continues to soar, and the contemporary business environment becomes increasingly competitive, working professionals need to gain MBA-level skills in a short amount of time to get ahead.
The MBA Essentials online certificate course equips you with holistic business skills to thrive in any business environment, at a fraction of the cost and commitment of a full MBA*. This course balances the knowledge and theory which will enable you to think differently with the practical skills and techniques required to achieve a greater impact within your organisation. Gaining these skills online and in a short period of time, you’re able to continue working whilst you study.
Developed by LSE academics from the Departments of Management and Accounting, this course empowers you to make better business decisions as you lead with influence, by focussing on three core pillars of business leadership:
- The strategic environment
- The financial toolkit
- The human element
*Note: this MBA Essentials online certificate course is not the equivalent of an MBA degree. Furthermore, it is a certificate course, not a credit-bearing course.
This course is certified by the United Kingdom CPD Certification Service, and may be applicable to individuals who are members of, or are associated with, UK-based professional bodies. The course has an estimated 80 hours of learning.
Note: should you wish to claim CPD activity, the onus is upon you. The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and GetSmarter accept no responsibility, and cannot be held responsible, for the claiming or validation of hours or points.
Registrations close: 22 September 2020
Course start (Orientation opens): 30 September 2020
Module 1 starts: 07 October 2020
Duration: 10 weeks (excluding orientation)
Commitment: 8 - 12 hours per week
- Identify and maximise your organisation’s strategic competitive advantage as you develop your understanding of the strategic environment and the market you operate within
- Analyse and optimise the performance of a business using technical business and accounting tools
- Use human behaviour insights and leadership frameworks to influence decisions at all levels of your organisation, and externally with investors and consumers, through greater knowledge of human behaviour and decision making processes
- Orientation Module
- Module 1: Leading with influence
Section I: The Strategic Environment
- Module 2: Economics for managers
- Module 3: Competitive strategy
- Module 4: Corporate strategy
Section II: The Financial Toolkit
- Module 5: Financial accounting
- Module 6: Management accounting
- Module 7: Analysing financial statements
Section III: The Human Element
- Module 8: In the mind of the manager
- Module 9: Nudging behaviour
- Module 10: Organisational culture as a leadership tool
- Convenor: Dr Connson Locke
Executive Global Master’s in Management Director
- Co-designer: Dr Jordi Blanes i Vidal
Associate Professor of Managerial Economics and Strategy
- Co-designer: Dr Barbara Fasolo
Associate Professor of Behavioural Science
- Co-designer: Khamid Irgashev
ACA and ACCA Chartered Accountant and LSE lecturer
There are no formal prerequisites for this course. However, basic business acumen and numerical proficiency is recommended.
This course is presented entirely online, in collaboration with leaders in online education, GetSmarter.
Modules are released on a weekly basis, and can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
This interactive, supportive teaching model is designed for busy professionals and results in unprecedented certification rates for online courses.
All reading materials for this course will be made accessible to you through the Online Campus. Notes for each module are often downloadable, and you are able to save any information or collateral you use to your personal profile.