- Programme typeOnline Certificate Course
- Start date12 Sept 2023 - Open
- Duration6 weeks
- Commitment7–10 hours per week
- DepartmentDepartment of Management
"The quality of a decision can’t be measured by its outcome. Instead, you must evaluate the process that led to the choice you made."
--- Dr Barbara Fasolo, Associate Professor of Behavioural Science at LSE
This highly interactive and collaborative online certificate course explores the science behind decision-making to enhance your problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also equips you with a step-by-step process for formulating clear, unbiased decisions. Using LSE’s proprietary tool – the Decision Canvas™ – you’ll gain the structure necessary to consistently make improved and informed decisions in both your personal and professional capacity.
Learn how to compensate for blind spots in your decision-making process by exploring and interrogating cognitive bias and automatic judgements. By focusing on an informed awareness of debiasing and choice architecture, this course will improve your intuitive decision-making, and prepare you for an increasingly tech-reliant world that requires professionals to use their interpersonal skills to navigate change and uncertainty.
This course also highlights the critical importance of teamwork and cooperation. By leveraging the diversity, experiences, and insight of your peers, you’ll learn how to review decision challenges from different perspectives and be exposed to alternative solutions. By combining theory with practical studies, you’ll gain a framework to apply in your own context to enhance your decision-making process.
- Gain a structured, scientifically informed process to making better, bias-proof decisions
- Access the LSE Decision Canvas™ framework – a step-by-step guide to approaching and improving decisions, in both your personal and professional context
- Develop the expertise to recognise blind spots in your decision-making, including cognitive bias and automatic judgements
- Build intuitive decision-making abilities developed through highly integrative, collaborative, and experiential learning
- Understand how to leverage the diversity, experiences, and insight of others in order to consider a decision from a variety of perspectives
- Apply key insights and knowledge from LSE faculty to an ongoing decision problem capstone project
This online certificate course is 6 weeks (excluding orientation week) with a time commitment of 7-10 hours per week.
- Business leaders, managers, and supervisors who’d benefit from developing structured and scientifically informed problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Professionals looking to advance their critical thinking and make more strategic and tactical business decisions
"Great course with interesting structure and resources. Decision Canvas was a clever tool to structure and keep on track the progress of decision making! At the same time, it helped to collaborate with classmates and proceed with the assignments. Overall a great experience for an online course."
LSE Online builds on our 125 year tradition of exploring the interconnected, multidisciplinary nature of our world that shape society and business globally. Since our inception in 1895, LSE has been a pioneer in providing courses for professional development. Our founding commitment is to understand the causes of things for the betterment of society. Never has this been a more important goal than in these times of unparalleled change. We provide you with the insights and skills to think critically and independently. To make the connections, see the greater picture. To shape the future by understanding today. Whatever stage you are in your life and career. Wherever you are in the world.
The design of this online certificate course is guided by LSE faculty, as well as industry experts, who will share their experience and in-depth knowledge with you throughout the course.
Dr Barbara Fasolo
Associate Professor of Behavioural Science
Dr Umar Taj
Guest Teacher, Department of Psychological and Behavioural Science
The Department of Management at LSE is a world-class centre for research and education in business and management, that draws fully on the LSE tradition of inter-disciplinary academic excellence. Ranked #5 worldwide for social sciences and management by the QS World University Rankings (2023) and #2 in the UK by percentage of overall four and three star in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021), the department informs and inspires the very best in management in practice by challenging and enhancing understanding of people, teams, organisations and markets, as well as the economic, psychological, social, political and technological contexts in which they operate worldwide.
Fees and entry requirements
Tuition fees: £2,200
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an LSE certificate of competence.
There are no prerequisites for this course.