UK and overseas government funding

Funding may be available from the UK Government for eligible students. 

Students from the United States, Canada and Mexico may also be eligible for funding from those governments.

UK Government funding

UK Government loan

postgraduate loan of up to £10,609 (2018/19 value) is available from the UK government for eligible UK and EU students studying for a first master's programme, to help with fees and living costs.

Disabled Students' Allowance

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) for UK students is  available to help with costs incurred during a programme as a result of a disability. For example you could get help with the costs of specialist equipment, non-medical helpers, extra travel because of your disability and other disability-related costs of studying.

Professional and Career Development Loans

Many UK postgraduates partially finance their studies with a Professional and Career Development Loan.

You need to apply directly to a high street bank. The LSE's learning provider number is 2044.

United States Federal Aid

The US Department of Education operate a Direct Loan programme whereby eligible students can borrow educational loans to assist with the cost of living.

Find out more about student loans from the US government

Canadian loans

Canadian students may be able to take out a loan from the Government of Canada to cover your cost of attendance.

Find out more about student loans from the Canadian government

Mexican loans

The FIDERH scheme offers loans to postgraduate students who will then apply their knowledge to improve the social and economic situation in Mexico.

More information about the FIDERH loan scheme