Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a list of common enquiries received by the Financial Support Office from prospective LSE students.

What is the Financial Undertaking Form?

The Financial Undertaking Form is the way of letting LSE know, via the Graduate Admissions Office, how you intend to cover the tuition fees of the programme for which you have an offer of admission. If you submit the Financial Undertaking Form and the information later changes, you can update the LSE Fees Office with the new information once you have registered for your programme of study. 

How do I complete the Financial Undertaking Form?

If you have submitted a funding application to LSE (LSE Graduate Financial Support Application, LSE Undergraduate Scholarship Application, etc.) you should select the option:

I confirm that I have applied for or have been given an award by the LSE Financial Support Office. I, or my family, are responsible for any remaining balance. 

If you are successful in securing LSE administered funding, you do not need to update the information in the Financial Undertaking Form. Any LSE administered funding for tuition fees will automatically transfer to your tuition fee account after you have registered for your programme of study. 

If you submit the Financial Undertaking Form and the information later changes, e.g. you secure funding from an organisation towards tuition fees, you can update the LSE Fees Office with the new information once you have registered for your programme of study. 



I am an overseas master's applicant to LSE. Could you please send me the necessary materials to apply for financial assistance?

To be considered for financial support from LSE at master's level, you must complete the online LSE Graduate Financial Support Application. Once you have applied for admission, you can access the LSE Graduate Financial Support Application via Graduate Admissions online application tracker.

Most scholarships state that applicants must have an offer of admission by a certain date. What happens if I receive a late offer?

All the deadlines set by the Financial Support Office are final. We cannot consider cases where you have missed these deadlines, regardless of the cause of the delay.

We expect all students who register with the School to have sufficient funding for the duration of their programme. It is very important to note that the School will be unable to offer you any assistance if you register without adequate finance.

You may wish to consider the option of asking the Graduate Admissions Office to defer your offer until the next academic session. This would give you time to make funding applications both within and outside the LSE, though there is of course no guarantee that these would be successful. A non-refundable deposit must be paid by applicants wishing to defer their offer. How do I defer my offer?

How do I apply for US or Canadian Student Loans?

US and Canadian loans are handled by the LSE Fees Office. More about these loans

I applied for an LSE scholarship but was unsuccessful. Can you put me on a waiting/reserve list in case one of the successful applicants does not accept their award?

Unfortunately not. Reserve candidates for most of our scholarships are selected at the same time as the scholarship is decided. Reserve candidates are notified in writing. If you have not been informed that you are a reserve candidate, you will not be considered for an award if it is not taken up.

Is there any financial assistance that I can apply for once I have registered if I don't secure enough funding in advance?

Under no circumstances can LSE assist students who knowingly register under-funded. It is your responsibility to make adequate arrangements for your tuition fees and living costs for your full programme at the School. Please consider carefully if you will have secured sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living costs before you start your course.

Can I apply to the School for a loan?

LSE does not have a loan scheme for prospective students to the School. Loans or other funding may be available through the UK or overseas governments, or through other external organisations.

What funding do you offer to those not actually studying at LSE?

None. We only administer funding to those registered for study at LSE.