Council Communist Movements in the WWI Era: A Comparative Study of Germany and Italy
Dr Robin Archer (Department of Sociology)
Political Sociology; Labour Movement; Revolutions; Social Movements; Communism; Democratization; Radical Social Theory
This is a comparative study of “council communist” movements in Germany and Italy in the interwar period. These were movements towards establishing an alternative social organization to capitalism in which workers could determine conditions of production and the distribution of the economic returns through the political organs of workers’ councils. This research looks at the way multiplicity of factors, including the states, unions, political parties, and social classes, played different roles in the emergence and the eventual routinization of these revolutionary movements in Germany and Italy after the First World War.
- 2019 [forthcoming]. (with Marcello Musto). The Routledge Handbook of Marx's 'Capital': A Global History of Translation, Dissemination and Reception. London-New York: Routledge.
- 2019 [forthcoming]. (with Shaibal Gupta and Marcello Musto). Karl Marx’s Life, Ideas, Influences: A Critical Examination on the Bicentenary. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2016. The Radical Left in Europe in the Age of Austerity. New York: Routledge.
Selected Book Chapters:
- 2019 [forthcoming] “Britain, United States, Canada.” In The Routledge Handbook of Marx's 'Capital': A Global History of Translation, Dissemination and Reception, edited by Marcello Musto and Babak Amini. London-New York: Routledge.
- 2019 [forthcoming]. “On the Notion of 'Workers’ Control' in Marx and Marxists (1871-1917): A Survey.” In Karl Marx’s Life, Ideas, Influences: A Critical Examination on the Bicentenary, edited by Shaibal Gupta, Marcello Musto. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2016. “Situating the Radical Left in Contemporary Europe.” In The Radical Left in Europe in the Age of Austerity, edited by Babak Amini, 7-24. New York: Routledge.
Selected Journal Articles and Book Reviews:
- 2018. (with Kaitlin Peters and Keyla Amorim). “Bringing Gender to the Forefront of Trade Union Solidarity: A Roundtable with Women Labour Union Leaders around the World.” Critique 46, no. 2: 307-25.
- 2018. “Review of Dario Azzellini, Communes and Workers’ Control in Venezuela: Building 21st Century Socialism from Below.” Socialism & Democracy, 32, no. 2: 146-9.
- 2017. “Review of Paolo Chiocchetti, The Radical Left Party Family in Western Europe, 1989-2015.” New Political Science 39, no. 3: 424-6.
- 2017. “Review of Imannuel Ness, Southern Insurgency: The Coming of the Global Working Class.” Science and Society 81, no. 3: 457-60.
- 2016. “Scholactivism: A Roundtable Interview with Ricardo Antunes, Pietro Basso, Patrick Bond, Michael Löwy, José Paulo Netto, and Leo Panitch.” Works and Days 33, no. 34: 61-92.
- 2014. “The Strength of Our Collective Voice: Views of Labor Leaders from around the World.” Socialism and Democracy, 28, no. 2: 143–65