Welcome to the LSE Middle East Centre
The LSE Middle East Centre builds on LSE's long engagement with the Middle East and North Africa and provides a central hub for the wide range of research on the region carried out at LSE.
The Middle East Centre works to enhance understanding and develop rigorous research on the societies, economies, politics and international relations of the region. The Centre promotes both specialized knowledge and public understanding and has outstanding strengths in interdisciplinary research and in regional expertise. As one of the world's leading social science institutions, LSE comprises departments covering all branches of the social sciences. The Middle East Centre harnesses this expertise to promote innovative multidisciplinary research and understanding of the region.
The Centre hosts over thirty research projects on diverse themes applied widely across the Middle East and North Africa. Findings from these, and from other leading scholarly work, are disseminated through the Centre’s flagship paper publications and public events series. The Centre’s research benefits from strong partnerships on projects with numerous academic institutions in the region.
The Middle East Centre engages in a wide variety of activities, including:
- Promoting independent and critical research on the Middle East and North Africa;
- Fostering open and critical debate about the politics, societies and economics of the region;
- Disseminating knowledge about the Middle East through Centre’s events, publications and digital resources;
- Providing a rich research environment for scholars and students;
- Establishing and cultivating ties with researchers in Middle East and international institutions.
Constitution and Governance
Current and past Middle East Centre activities are supported by:
- Emirates Foundation
- Aman Trust
- Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences
- UK Department for International Development
- The Leverhulme Trust
- Thomas Gerald Gray Charitable Trust
- LSE Knowledge Exchange and Impact Fund
- British Institute for Persian Studies
- British Institute for the Study of Iraq
- Oxfam GB
- LSE IGA–Rockefeller Fund
- American Political Science Association
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Research Councils UK
- The Henry Luce Foundation
- John Templeton Foundation