Frequently asked questions and help

Who can I contact if I have any questions?

If you have a question that is not covered by the course information given in these pages or you have a question about an application you have submitted please email us at and we will respond to you as quickly as possible.

What if I meet my English language condition after I have booked a place?

Many students with unconditional offers have found the presessional course extremely helpful in preparing them for their studies at LSE.

A presessional course will;

  • improve your academic written English
  • acquaint you with the academic expectations that come with a course at LSE
  • improve your research skills
  • improve your confidence in giving presentations
  • improve your confidence in speaking in seminars

You should also be aware that the marking criteria of the IELTS exam do not reflect well the characteristics of academic writing, as preferred by teachers.

An acceptable IELTS score is not therefore a guarantee of competency.

We would therefore encourage you to take the course you booked (or, if available, consider a shorter one) even if you have met the English language requirements of your offer.

Please also note from a visa perspective, if you were issued with a CAS solely for the purpose of attending LN904 or LN905 you will need to successfully complete this programme of study in order to be able to apply for a new Tier 4 visa whilst in the UK.

What is the validity period for the LSE English test?

Your test results and certification are valid for 2 years from the date of issue.

That means if you take and complete our programme, satisfying your offer requirements in terms of English, then defer your place you can use the certificate as proof of this for up to 2 years.

What if I want to cancel my place?

Our Terms and Conditions state 'if you wish to withdraw from a course you must do so in writing at least ten working days before its start date in order to qualify for a full refund'.

This means if you wish to cancel a place you have booked on our 2019-20 programme you will need to have informed us, in writing, before these times;

  • LN904: 16:00 (BST) on Friday, 5 June 2020
  • LN905: 16:00 (BST) on Friday, 10 July 2020

What about accommodation?

If you are taking LN904 & LN905 LSE Vacations are able to offer single room with shared bathroom facilities at Bankside House.

You will need to book and pay for set dates. LSE Vacations are unable to accept shorter stays.

  • LN904 arrival will be 21, June 2020 and departure will be 03, September 2020
  • LN905 arrival will be 26, July 2020 and departure will be 03, September 2020

The rate per night is £49.00. At Bankside they provide a complimentary breakfast. There is no access to a shared kitchen.

Please note the cancellation terms for accommodation. This is different to cancellation terms for tuition fees for this programme.

  • 60+ calendar days before arrival = 90% of the total
  • 59-30 calendar days before arrival = 50% of the total
  • Less than 30 calendar days before arrival = No refund

If you want to reserve accommodation for LN904 or LN905 you will need to email LSE Vacations at

Please quote the Language Centre course you have registered and paid for along with your LSE student number. They will then make a reservation for you and give you payment instructions. Full payment will be required at the time of booking.

Please contact if you have any questions about this.

As an alternative to these options here is some information from LSE Residential Services on budget short term accommodation options. [PDF] Please contact the companies listed if you have any questions about these options and they will be happy to help.

What if my main programme starts before the end of the Presessional course?

You will need to be available to complete the whole course.

Therefore, please make sure you are available for the duration of the course and that the registration dates for your main programme of study do not overlap.

If they do overlap, regretably, we will not be able to accept you on the course.

What if I am not available for the start of the course?

You will need to be available to complete the whole course.

Therefore, please make sure you are available for the duration of the course before you accept any offer from us. Please get in touch with us should you have any questions concerning your offer and start dates.

If you are not available to complete the whole course we will normally not be able to accept you on the course. Exceptions would be related to last minute travel issues meaning you might arrive one or two days later than planned.

What about insurance?

  • If you are coming to LSE from a country outside the European Union that does not have a reciprocal health agreement with the United Kingdom you should arrange private medical insurance to cover all eventualities of health care.
  • Students from countries with reciprocal health agreements with the United Kingdom will be covered for emergency medical conditions, but may wish to take out private medical insurance to cover non-emergencies.
  • More information on healthcare whilst you are in the UK can be found from UKCISA: UK Council for International Student Affairs.
  • In the unlikely event that we have to cancel the course due to low registration numbers it is also advisable that you make sure you have appropriate travel insurance to cover this and any other eventualities of travel disruption.
  • It is advisable that you take out a personal possessions insurance policy as your possessions are not covered under any hall of residence’s insurance scheme.

Fraud, scams and advice from UKCISA

UKCISA serves the interests of international students and all who work with them in universities, colleges and students' unions.

They provide up-to-date immigration, fees and international student experience information for students and colleagues working with them.

We do advise that you read through all the information you can on the UKCISA web site but in particular this section on fraud and scams. Unfortunately some criminals do target international students so it is a good idea to read through the information UKCISA have prepared.

What do I do about visas?

  • LSE has a unit to give advice and guidance on visa issues. Please consult this important information which will help you if you need to apply for a CAS.
  • Please note a CAS (if you require one) can only be issued by LSE once you have accepted and paid for your Language Centre course.
  • Information on this will be sent to you on acceptance.
  • Please pay special attention to information on Secure English Language Tests (SELT).
  • The most widely used SELT is the UKVI IELTS.
  • The ‘standard or academic’ IELTS may not be sufficient.
  • You will need a SELT if you are applying for a CAS and you have a conditional offer from LSE.
  • On the first day of the course we are obliged to check you are here with a valid and correct visa. We will need to take a copy of proof of this so please bring this with you.
  • You will not be able to commence your course until any visa you hold has been checked.

LSE English language requirements

Information on LSE English language requirements is available from LSE graduate admissions.

Frequently asked questions

In addition to this information it would be advisable to read through all the information sent to you by your Department and LSE Admissions before making your travel and accommodation plans.