Se Hoon Park is a researcher and commentator on the planning and politics of Korean cities and is a currently senior research fellow at the Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements, Republic of Korea (and also a senior visiting fellow at the London School of Economics and Political Science during 2023).
He studied urban studies and planning at Seoul National University and University of Tokyo.
Having been involved in numerous national urban projects in Korea, he has talked and written on urban development, cultural city and ethnic enclaves in Korean and East Asian cities.
Focused on improving the planning practices for sustainable urban future in Korea and beyond, he works with a number of Korean and International organizations such as Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Korea, Korean National Commission for UNESCO, UN Habitat, the World Bank and the Inter-American Development Bank.
- Park, S.H. and Jeong, Y.H. (2023) Making Creative Cities in Korea: The Role of National Government. Creative Cities: Learning from the Republic of Korea’s Experiences Washington: World Bank(KRIHS and World Bank Report, forthcoming)
- Park, S.H., Shin, H.B. and Kang, H.S. (ed.) (2021) Exporting Urban Korea? Reconsidering the Korean Urban Development Experiences, London: Routledge.
- Park, S.H. (2021) Knowledge-Policy Nexus: Policy Research Institutes and Urban Development Regime in Korea. In Park, S.H., Shin, H.B. and Kang, H.S. (eds) (2021) Exporting Urban Korea? Reconsidering the Korean Urban Development Experiences, London: Routledge
- Park, S.H. (2019) Seoul/South Korea. The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Urban and Regional Studies. The Wiley-Blackwell.
- Park, S.H and Kim, J.E (2018) Constructing ‘Participating Citizen’: Urban Regeneration Activists and Changing State-Civil Society Relation in Seoul. Space and Society, 28(3), pp. 9-39. (in Korean)
- Park, S.H and Song, J.E. (2017) Marketization and its Impact on Urban Planning Practices in North Korea Journal of Korea Planners Association, 52(7), pp. 55-71. (in Korean)
- Park, S.H. (2016) Global Knowledge and Local Practices: Reinventing Urban Cultural Policy in Busan, South Korea. Making Cultural Cities in Asia: Mobility, Assemblage, and the Politics of Aspirational Urbanism. edited by June Wang, Tim Oakes, Yang Yang. London: Routledge, 2016.
- Park, S.H. (2016) Can We Implant an Artist Community? A Reflection on Government-led Cultural Districts in Korea. Cities 56, pp. 172-179.
- Joo, Y.M. and Park, S.H. (2016). Overcoming Urban Growth Coalition: The Case of Culture-Led Urban Revitalization in Busan South Korea. Urban Affairs Review. 53(5). pp. 1~15. DOI: 10.1177/1078087416638449
- Shin, H.R., Sonn J.W. and Park, S.H. (2015) The Emergence of a Multi-scalar Growth Regime and Scalar Tension: Politics of Urban Development in Songdo New City, South Korea Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 33, pp. 1618-1638.