Do I need a visa?

Nationals of many countries are able to travel to South Africa for two weeks without a visa, or to apply for a tourist visa on arrival in the country. However, it is the responsibility of participants to confirm their specific visa requirements and application procedures with the South African embassy or mission in their country of residence prior to departure. South Africa's Department of Home Affairs also maintains a list of countries which are exempt from the requiring visas for short visits.

Visa Support Letter

Participants who enrol on the LSE-UCT July School are not degree-seeking students of the University of Cape Town, so a student visa or study permit is not required. If, however, you decide that you do need to apply for some other form of visa in advance of attending the LSE-UCT July School, you may request a visa support letter from the University of Cape Town by completing the online request form. Participants are advised to complete requests for visa support letters as soon as their places have been confirmed on the programme and they have paid their relevant tuition fees.