Home > Study > Information for international students > Visas and immigration > Applying for a visa for Summer School study


How to contact us

International Student Visa Advice Team

Student Services Centre

London School of Economics and Political Science




Online Query Form


Why not give us your feedback?

Applying for a visa for Summer School study

16_0364 ISVAT Banner

What visa can I apply for to attend the Summer School?

In 2016, the LSE will be running three Summer School sessions for the first time.  The type of visa you are eligible for depends on:

  • which Summer School sessions you are attending;
  • whether your attendance at the Summer School is a condition of your offer;
  • whether you are taking the Summer School as supplementary study to your main degree in the UK.

Case One: A person attending the Summer School/Executive Summer School/Methods Summer Programme only and has no current immigration permission for the UK.

If you are  intending to study at the Summer School/Executive Summer School/Methods Summer Programme only, you will need to apply for a Short-term Student visa

  • If you are an Executive Summer School student and need to apply for a Short-term Student visa, contact the Executive Summer School team for a letter.
  • If you are a Summer School student and need to apply for a Short-term Student visa, you can request a letter from the Summer School - Short-term Student letter request
  • If you are a Methods Summer Programme students and need to apply for a Shirt-term Student visa, contact the Methods Programme team for a letter.
  • Check the Home Office guidance on supporting documents and prepare your application.
  • If you are a visa national (you must apply for a visa before travelling), submit your application to UK Visas and Immigration.
  • If you are a non-visa national, you can request permission to enter the UK as a Short-term Student at the border when you arrive in the UK.

FAQ: Can I study the Summer School on a Standard Visitor (tourist) visa?

A maximum of 30 days study per trip is permitted on a Standard Visitor visa for short-courses or recreational courses BUT the study must be incidental to the main reason you are travelling to the UK.  If you are only in the UK to attend the Summer School/Executive Summer School/Methods Programme, study is the main reason you are in the UK and the tourism is incidental.

We understand that it may be quicker to apply for a Standard Visitor visa in some countries, but you should ensure that you have the correct immigration permission to study in the UK. If you plan well in advance, you should be able to get the correct visa on time.

Case Two: LSE Summer School/Methods Summer Programme before further studies in the UK?

If you are coming to LSE to study at the Summer School before attending full-time studies in the UK, your options depend on when and where you will be completing your full time studies.

Summer School/Methods Summer Programme as a condition of your offer for an LSE programme.

Your ability to be sponsored under Tier 4 for the Summer School/Methods Summer Programme will depend on:

  • Which session of the Summer School you are attending;
  • When your Tier 4 visa for the Summer School would expire;
  • When your main degree programme is due to begin.

For example, a student who has Session One of the Summer School as a condition, but their main degree does not begin until September would not be able to be sponsored on Tier 4 for the Summer School

This can be quite complex, so you should contact the International Student Visa Advice Team for advice on your options.

Attending Summer School/Methods Summer Programme if you have an unconditional offer for your LSE programme.

If you are attending the Summer School/Methods Summer Programme and have an unconditional offer for your LSE programme, we may be able to issue you with a CAS which covers the whole period of your studies. You will need to contact Graduate Admissions to request a CAS.

If you are issued with a joint CAS for the Summer School and your main degree programme, you must register for and attend the Summer School or it may affect your ability to join your main degree programme.

Summer School/Executive Summer School/Methods Summer Programme as a pre-sessional programme before your main degree at another institution.

We are unable to provide a CAS number for Summer School students who do not intend to complete their full time studies at the LSE. If you already have a Tier 4 visa which will cover the period of study at the LSE, read the information on supplementary study.

Case Three: Supplementary study to your main degree in the UK.

The UKVI permits supplementary study at any point of your valid Tier 4 visa so long as:

  • it does not affect your main degree programme;
  • it does not delay your departure from the UK (you cannot extend your Tier 4 for supplementary study).

If you have a Tier 4 visa for another institution, you will be able to study the Summer School/Executive Summer School/Methods Summer Programme, you will be able to attend on the basis of it being supplementary study.  We may require evidence that you are still studying/have finished your programme to be able to register you on a Tier 4 visa for another institution.

Secure English Language Tests

If you need to apply for a Tier 4  visa to attend Summer School, click on the detailed guide on the right of this page. Please note that you may be required to take a UKVI Secure English Language Test before you can be issued with a CAS.     

Contacting us

We do not produce the documentation for your visa applications.  This will be provided by either the Summer School/Executive Summer (for Short-term Study visas) or Graduate Admissions if you need a CAS.

If you need to tell us about your circumstances, please contact us through our online query form:
ISVAT online query form