How to contact us

International Student Visa Advice Team

Student Services Centre

London School of Economics and Political Science




Online Query Form


Why not give us your feedback?

Executive MSc programmes

Who should executive Masters students contact for immigration advice?

The International Student Visa Advice Team (ISVAT) are the only team who are trained to provide immigration advice to our students.  If you have any questions about visas to attend teaching, please contact us directly using our web query form.

Do I need to apply for a visa before I travel to the UK?

If your country is listed on Appendix 2 of the visitor visa rules, you must apply for a visa before travelling to the UK.

You can also check if you need a visa on the website.  If you receive a message which states"You won't need a visa to come to the UK"  this means that you are not required to obatin a visa before travelling.  However, you must still obtain the correct immigration permission when you enter at the border. 

Short Term Student

LSE advises that if you require a visa to attend teaching, you apply for a Short -term Student visa. 

If you are going to come to the UK several times over the period of your programme, you can apply to enter the UK as a Short-term Student. This allows you to stay in the UK for up to six months and is also permitted for 'distance learning' programmes.

The Short-term Student route is advisable for the following programmes:

  • TRIUM Global Executive MBA
  • MSc Health Economics, Policy and Management (modular)
  • Executive MSc Health Economics, Outcomes and Management in Cardiovascular Sciences 
  • Executive Global Masters in Management
  • Executive LLM
  • Executive MPA
  • Executive MSc Behavioural Science
  • Executive MSc in the Political Economy of Europe
  • Executive MSc in Cities

For more information on applying to come to the UK go to

How to make a Short-term student application

The Short-term Study visa is not suitable for the Executive MSc International Strategy and Diplomacy as it is a full time programme.  If you do not already hold immigration permission for the UK which permits you to study, you may be eligible for a  Tier 4 visa.  Contact us for more information on your options.

Work visas

If you have immigration permission to work in the UK, this means that you also have permission to study. This includes:

  • Tier 1 routes
  • Tier 2 (General) and Tier 2 (ICT)
  • Tier 5 Youth Mobility

As long as you are able to fulfil the requirements of your work and will continue to have immigration permission until the end of your programme, you will be able to study at LSE. 

Diplomatic status

If you are posted to the UK on diplomatic business, you can study on any of the programmes at LSE as long as your term in the UK lasts until the end of the LSE programme.

If you are based outside the UK, you will need to obtain immigration permission to study in the UK. This usually means applying to enter the UK as a Short-term Student for the periods of study in London.

For more information go to:

How to make a Short-term Student application

Can I have two different UK visas in my passport at the same time?

The UKVI have recently changed their guidance on holding two types of immigration permission in a passport at the same time.  The previous guidance stated that two forms of entry clearance could be held as long as one was for a short time e.g. six months.

A recent change means that if you hold a long-term visitor visa and apply for a new entry clearance, if your visitor visa is still valid at the point the new visa is issued then it is likely to be cancelled with no refund.

We have asked our representative bodies to raise our concerns with the UKVI, but if you are affected by this change, please contact us for further information.

Studying on a Standard Visitor Visa

If you are on a part-time or executive Masters programme, you will be unable to study on a multi-entry visitor visa as these are not short-courses.  More information is available in the Home Office guidance

The LSE advises that you should obtain a Short-term Student visa to attend part-time teaching as this grants permission to study in the UK for up to six months.

Re-registering with the LSE

If you require immigration permission to study at the LSE, you will be required to show that you have a visa which allows study when returning for teaching.  If you do not obtain immigration permission which allows you to study your programme, you will not be able to attend teaching.


The advice provided by the International Student Visa Advice Team is in accordance with the current immigration rules, policy guidance and processes of UK Visas and Immigration.  These are subject to change at short notice.  If you have any queries, you are strongly advised to check with out team before applying for your visa.  It is your responsibility to read the guidance available and ensure you meet the immigration rules before applying.