Home > Study > A year at LSE: the General Course > Prospective students > Financial matters > Financial support for General Course students


Financial support for General Course students

John C Phelan General Course Scholarships

LSE is pleased to offer two John C Phelan General Course scholarships|, with a value of £15,000 each for students accepted to the General Course in 2015.

The Virginia and L E Simmons General Course Scholarship

The Virginia and L E Simmons Foundation and LSE are pleased to announce a new scholarship of £18,000| for a student accepted to the General Course in 2015. Preference for a student from Texas or Utah, or a student currently studying in Texas or Utah will be given.

The BUTEX Scholarship for North American Students

BUTEX (British Transatlantic Exchange Association) represents nearly 80 higher education institutions in the United Kingdom with active transatlantic links and interests. Its brief includes the promotion of UK higher education in North America and the regular exchange of information among its members on a variety of current educational issues.

BUTEX offers a number of scholarships for undergraduate students currently registered at an institution in the USA or Canada. If you are a prospective General Course student and you wish to apply you must already have been offered a place at LSE.

The value of each scholarship is £500 and will be paid once you have arrived and registered at the School. Payment will be made to a UK bank account.

Applications can be made by following the application process as stated on the BUTEX website|. If you have any queries please contact BUTEX directly at butex_enquiries@msn.com|

The closing date by which all applications must be received is 15th June 2015 and winners will be notified by the end of September. Only successful applicants will be contacted.

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Programme

The Gilman International Scholarship Program| offers scholarships for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad.

Named after retire Congressman Benjamin a. Gilman, NY, the program's goal is to diversify the kinds of students who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go. Specifically, the Gilman Program offers scholarships for students who have been traditionally under represented in education abroad. 

Award recipients receive up to $5,000 to apply toward study abroad program costs, including, program fees, tuition, room and board, airfare, books and local transportation.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Applicants must be a U.S. citizen undergraduate student at a 2 or 4 year institution in the United States.
  • Applicants must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of study abroad.
  • Applicants must be applying to a study abroad program eligible for credit at the student's institution of higher education in the U.S.
  • Applicants must be studying abroad for a minimum of four weeks in one country.
  • Study abroad program can take place in any country that is not on the U.S. Department of State's Travel Warning list or Cuba.

To Apply

  • Complete the online application at www.iie.org/gilman.
  • Contact the Financial Aid and Study Abroad advisors at your home institution to notify them you are applying for the Gilman Scholarship
  • Send three copies of your transcripts from your current institution and any previous institutions indicated on your application.

Fund for Education Abroad Scholarship

The FEA (Fund for Education Abroad) was established in 2008.  In 2009, a board was established to provide advice on the needs of students in education abroad and how best offer them more opportunities.  

The board and staff are proud to offer twelve FEA scholarships| each academic year.

Scholarship Eligibility Requirements & Preferences


  • Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
  • Must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university in the U.S.
  • Must be applying for a study abroad program eligible for credit at the student’s educational institution
  • Must plan to study abroad for a minimum of 4 weeks in country
  • Is committed to supporting education abroad in his/her campus community through work with the FEA and his/her campus education abroad staff upon return                                                                                                                


  • Applying to a study abroad program known for its academic rigor and immersion elements
  • Applying to a study abroad program that includes studying the language of the host country (if not English)
  • Applying to a study abroad program with a sustainable service-learning or volunteering component
  • Applying to a study abroad program in a non-traditional destination
  • Demonstrates financial need
  • FEA strongly encourages students to apply who represent a group that is traditionally underrepresented in education abroad

For more information on how to apply visit 


Federal loans

The School is a registered institution for most types of US and Canadian student loans. Students taking the General Course as part of their degree course at a university in the USA/Canada may qualify for federal loans from their home university, as the General Course year counts as a 'year abroad'.  For further information, students should speak to their study abroad office at their home university.