Home > Study > Erasmus at LSE > FAQs for LSE students


FAQs for LSE students

What are the criteria to be accepted as an Erasmus student?
If you are currently registered at LSE and you wish to take part in an exchange with another institution under the Erasmus scheme, your department must have a formal agreement with that university. For a list of current agreements, see the Information for LSE students page|.

Is there a deadline for applications?
Please return the Erasmus Application Form| to the Erasmus Coordinator one month prior to your exchange period abroad, or by 9 December 2014 for an exchange period during 2014/15, whichever date comes earlier. Exchange partners may also have their own application deadlines for incoming Erasmus students and you should check the host university's website for further information.

How long will I spend at the partner institution?
Students can spend between 3 months and one academic year in another participating country in the framework of agreed arrangements between universities.

How much will it cost, and is there any financial support available?
As an LSE student studying at a partner institution, depending on your programme you may still have to pay the standard LSE tuition fee. However, you will not have to pay the tuition fee of the host institution. During your Erasmus study, you continue to receive any student grant or loan to which you are normally entitled.

You may also be eligible for an Erasmus mobility grant. Please note that this grant is merely a contribution toward the cost of studying overseas, and is not intended to cover all your expenses. The amount you will receive is set by the European Commission and changes each year. The grant for academic year 2013/14 has not been confirmed at this stage. For 2014/15 the grant is dependent on the GROUP of your host country and the number of days you spend on your exchanges. The table below shows how the 3 Band system worked.


Country  Placement Monthly Grant (EUR) 
Group 1: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Lichtenstein, Norway, Sweden, UK €400
Group 2: Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey €350
Group 3: Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia €350


Please note that a £150 paperwork deposit is retained by the school and paid on the receipt of all required documentation & academic transcript.

IMPORTANT: It is your responsibility to complete all the paperwork within the required timeframes.  Failiure to do so may result in the British Council requesting you return your grant.

You will receive information about living expenses from your host institution.

Additional grants are available for students with disabilities. Please indicate on the Erasmus Application Form| if you need to apply for a special needs allowance.

Are there any language requirements?
You should contact the Erasmus Coordinator at the institution you wish to visit for details of any language requirements they may have for Erasmus students.

You may be required to undertake an online language programme for the European Commission if the language you will be taught in is not your native language.  LSE will contact you with further details if this is required.

Who can I contact for further information?
All prospective or current students with further questions about the Erasmus programme should contact the Erasmus Coordinator:
email: erasmus@lse.ac.uk|