Home > Study > Erasmus at LSE > FAQs for incoming students


FAQs for incoming students


How do I apply to study as an Erasmus student?
Once your home institution has approved your participation in the programme, you will need to download and complete LSE's Erasmus Application Form|. This should be returned to the Erasmus Coordinator at LSE (graduate and doctoral students only; undergraduate students will need to apply via the Erasmus Coordinator at Sciences Po).

How can I find out if my university has an exchange agreement with LSE?

For a list of university agreements, please see the Information for incoming students| page.

What are the criteria to be accepted as an Erasmus student at LSE?
If you wish to study at LSE under the Erasmus programme, your home university department must have a formal agreement with a department at LSE. For a list of university agreements, please see the Information for incoming students| page. You must then contact the Erasmus Coordinator at your home institution to discuss your eligibility.

Arrangements are dealt with at departmental level only. If no agreement exists, it is not possible to participate in the Erasmus programme.

What are the English Language requirements?
Visiting Erasmus students at LSE will normally be expected to have attained an adequate level of proficiency in English, equivalent to a score of 6.5-7.0 in the British Council IELTS.

The LSE Language Centre normally offers a pre-sessional course in English language in September, for which a fee is payable; further details are available on request. For those with a reasonable command of English, there are extra-curricular courses in English as a second language throughout the first two terms.

When will I receive a decision?
Upon receipt of your application form, LSE will process your application and contact you with a decision within one month. It is important that you receive this decision before committing to attend the School.

Applications are decided at departmental level.  However, you must still complete the requirements to hold an unconditional offer of study before you are able to register.

My university does not have an agreement with LSE. Are there any other opportunities for me to study at LSE?
We do not accept Erasmus free-movers. However, if you are interested in coming to study at LSE and your university does not have an Erasmus exchange agreement with us, you may be able to apply for a place as a fee-paying visiting student:

General Course| LSE runs a Study Year Abroad programme for undergraduate students, known as the General Course. Students spend a full academic year at LSE, from October to June.

Summer School| Three-week courses are offered during the summer months in the disciplines of Accounting and Finance, Economics, English language, International Relations, Law and Management.

Visiting Research Student (VRS)| Research students at other universities can spend up to one academic year at the School at the discretion of the academic department concerned. Examinations are optional and grades do not contribute towards a degree or diploma. A full transcript of studies can be produced at the end of the study period. Other graduate students may also seek enrolment as a VRS to take graduate courses without the commitment of registering for a degree programme. VRS applicants should follow the same application procedures as MPhil/PhD applicants.

Visiting Research Staff| If you are a member of staff at another university, you can pursue a programme of research at LSE if you are nominated by an LSE academic department as a fee-paying research scholar. Enquires about such opportunities should be made to the Deputy Director's Office, c/o Ms Barbara Hay (email: b.j.hay@lse.ac.uk| or tel: +44 (0)20 7955 7014).

Can I do an Erasmus + traineeship at the LSE?

The LSE does not currently support Erasmus + traineeships.

Study and Assessment

What courses will I study at LSE?
Please make sure you discuss your programme of studies with the Erasmus project coordinator at your home university before you arrive at the School. For information on courses see the Undergraduate Course Guides| and Postgraduate Course Guides|.

For undergraduate students:
Undergraduate Erasmus students follow the equivalent of four courses as agreed between the coordinators of the particular project under which they are admitted to LSE. The School does NOT offer special courses for ERASMUS students.

You will be able to get advice from your tutor on your final choice of courses (for which you should also seek approval from your home university). Certain combinations of courses may not be possible because of timetable difficulties.

For postgraduate students:
If you are registering as a taught master's student, teaching for most courses covers at least 20 weeks of the Michaelmas and Lent Terms, with some courses continuing for a few weeks into the Summer Term. Most courses are taught by means of non-compulsory lectures, in which the teacher outlines the central material of the course, and compulsory classes, in which smaller groups of students meet to discuss questions arising from the lectures, in addition to your own study and preparation.

How long will I spend at LSE?
Students can spend between 3 months and one academic year at LSE in the framework of the agreed arrangements between universities. The length of the exchange will vary according to the department and university you are a student of. For more information, you should contact the Erasmus Coordinator at your home institution.

How will I be assessed?
LSE students are assessed mainly on their performance in formal end-of-year examinations. An Erasmus student who attends for the entire academic year would normally take this examination, unless the home university decides otherwise. For those who do not take the examination (including those who attend for only part of the year), all we can provide is a report on the student's participation in classes, and any marks awarded for coursework.

LSE does not arrange special examinations for Erasmus students. At the end of your period of study, LSE will prepare a certificate setting out the courses taken and any assessments available. For further information, please contact the Student Services Centre|

Will I have access to the LSE Library?
The School's Library (also known as the British Library of Political and Economic Science) is the world's largest library devoted exclusively to the social sciences. Erasmus students are entitled to full membership of the LSE Library and will be issued with a student card at registration.

Further information about the Library, including the online catalogue, can be found on the Library's website.

What IT facilities are available at LSE?
All Erasmus students will be given access to LSE's high-speed computer network. Once you are a registered student with your own username and password, you will be able to take advantage of LSE's wide range of IT services. You will also be allocated an email address, which will be in the form of i.surname@lse.ac.uk| or i.j.surname@lse.ac.uk|.

There are over 1000 high-quality PCs in open access computer areas on the LSE campus and in small computer rooms in each of the students' residential halls. There is one computer room that will be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during term-time.

Housing and Pastoral Care

Is accommodation available for Erasmus students?
Unfortunately, we can only guarantee accommodation to undergraduate Erasmus students. However, graduate and doctoral students who stay for one academic year (October until July) are also considered for a place in a hall of residence. It is not possible to provide a place in LSE student accommodation for students studying in London for shorter periods.

Information and advice is available for those who are unable to find a place in School accommodation. Students who do not have a place for the Michaelmas term are strongly advised to arrive mid-September to seek information and advice on finding somewhere to live. It may be possible to find a temporary base for that time in one of the LSE halls (booking forms are available from the Accommodation Office|), while permanent accommodation is sought. For the same reason, students coming to the School for the Lent term should come as soon as possible after Christmas, but please note that the School will be closed until after the New Year holiday.

Alternatively, students may wish to take advantage of the service provided by London Host Families|.

Will I have a personal tutor?
You will have a tutor to act as your personal academic advisor for the period of your stay. Your tutor will advise on your choice of courses, and will receive reports on your progress. Your tutor will also be available to advise on academic or personal problems, and can help you locate the relevant professional service at the School.

How much will it cost to live in London?
As how much you spend is ultimately an individual decision, the following figures are intended only as a guide. London can be as expensive as your personal tastes dictate - some students are able to live on less, some need more. Please note that these figures are intended as a guideline only and are close to the minimum you are likely to spend. Your cost of living will inevitably vary according to individual circumstances.

Cost  (£ per month)

Total Estimated Amount



Food & household expenses




Books, stationery & photocopying




Total per month


Immigration Queries

Erasmus at the LSE is managed by the International Student Immigration Service.  We will be able to advise you on your immigration options if you require a visa to study in the UK.


How international is LSE?
LSE is one of the world's most international universities, with over 60 per cent of all our students originating from countries outside the UK, and over 150 different countries represented in the student body. It is a truly cosmopolitan environment.

Where should I register upon arrival?
Registration means that you become a member of the School and entitles you to full use of School facilities.

Information about the Registration process in September can be found on our New Arrivals website. If you are starting your exchange during the Lent Term or at any other time of the academic year, you should go to the Student Services Centre (SSC) in the Old Building to register. The Centre is open Monday to Friday from 11:00 to 16:00.

Visiting Erasmus students who are in the second, third or fourth year of a normal first degree at their home institution will be registered as undergraduate students.

Visiting Erasmus students who are studying for a postgraduate degree at their home university will be registered as taught master's students.

Visiting Erasmus students who are studying for a doctoral degree will be registered as research students.

Key sources of information for your studies at LSE are located in:

Who can I contact for further information?
For further queries about the application procedure and the Erasmus programme at LSE, please contact LSE's Erasmus Coordinator:
email: erasmus@lse.ac.uk|