Home > Study > PhD Academy > Careers advice at the PhD Academy

How to contact us

LSE PhD Academy
Lionel Robbins Building (4th floor)
10 Portugal Street
London WC2A 2HD

 

Postal address: 
PhD Academy
LSE, Houghton Street
London WC2A 2AE

 

Tel: +44 (0)20 7955 6607

 

Email: phdacademy@lse.ac.uk

 

Follow us on Twitter: @LSEPhD

 

Careers advice at the PhD Academy

LSE Careers provides a comprehensive careers service for you as doctoral students and recent PhD graduates, helping you to:

  • make the most of your PhD experiences
  • gain new skills and experience
  • research career options
  • network with employers
  • find vacancies for jobs and part-time work

We work completely confidentially with you to help you make the best decisions about your career and develop your future plans at whatever stage you are. Our knowledge and expertise about jobs and funding opportunities for during and after your PhD can help you make progress, whatever your career plans.

We help you to consider and prepare for career opportunities in academia and other employment sectors. Initially, each year about 60% of LSE PhD graduates go on to work in education and 40% work in other fields, such as government, NGOs, think tanks, consultancy, and commercial organisations. About 25% start work outside Europe and the other 75% in UK and Europe.

Career development

Our web resources can help you explore:

Appointments

You can book an appointment to meet with Catherine Reynolds, the Careers Consultant for PhD students, in one of the Academy meeting rooms or in LSE Careers. These last 30 minutes and are held in confidence.

Vacancies

All job opportunities generated by the LSE Careers team are listed on our Career Hub vacancy list. Our Employer Engagement Team develop relationships with employers and are dedicated to advertising jobs and other part-time, full-time, European and international, internship and voluntary opportunities. You can search these by key word and follow your favourite employers to keep up to date with their recruitment activity.

On our website we list PhD jobsites for working in academia and outside academia.

Careers events

One hour seminars on careers issues relevant to doctoral students run throughout the year. Find out when they are and how to book on our Events and courses page. You can also find presentations from all our PhD careers seminars on a PhD careers seminar slides page.

PhD careers blogs

We post regularly on the PhD careers blog to keep you informed about our services, events and many career opportunities.

Books and other resources

LSE Careers holds resources to support the career development of PhD researchers. Our sector information is relevant to all our students thinking about opportunities outside academia.

Access to LSE Careers after you graduate

Opportunities and events listed on Career Hub are available to you for five years after you graduate. You can continue to use our one to one services after you graduate; appointments with the PhD careers adviser are available for two years from the date of your PhD graduation. For further information on alumni access please visit CareerHub access.

If you have questions about career issues, please email our Careers Consultant for PhD students, Catherine Reynolds.

LSE Careers

Catherine Reynolds
Catherine Reynolds

Careers consultant for PhD and research staff

 
Share:Facebook|Twitter|LinkedIn|