Industries are led by organisations that know how to harness innovation to win and sustain a competitive advantage. Those that lack a consistent approach to innovation often fall behind. Whether responding to pandemics such as COVID-19, technological change or customers' growing concerns for the environment, systematic innovation management proves invaluable.
The Competitive Strategy and Innovation online certificate empowers strategic leaders to make informed decisions about fostering and resourcing the right innovations for the most positive business impact, and is relevant for all professionals impacted by disruption.
Over eight weeks, the course teaches you to identify and leverage existing resources in your organisation to set your business apart. By adopting a resource-based view, you’ll approach innovation through a practical lens as you identify your business’s unique capabilities and analyse how your current assets can be used to your competitive advantage.
Through a combination of problem-based learning scenarios and authentic case studies, the course will teach you underlying principles of competitive strategy, but also how to translate them into action. You’ll discover frameworks that can be used to evaluate your existing resources, stimulate and manage innovation, and build a long-term competitive strategy. The course also illustrates several practical examples of innovation in response to the COVID-19 disruption. Using tools such as design thinking, blue ocean strategy, and customer journey mapping, you'll be better equipped to drive your business forward in the face of uncertainty.
This course is certified by the United Kingdom CPD Certification Service, and may be applicable to individuals who are members of, or are associated with, UK-based professional bodies. The course has an estimated 70 hours of learning.
Note: should you wish to claim CPD activity, the onus is upon you. The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and GetSmarter accept no responsibility, and cannot be held responsible, for the claiming or validation of hours or points.
Registrations close: 01 September 2020
Course start (Orientation opens): 09 September 2020
Module 1 starts: 16 September 2020
Duration: 8 weeks (excluding orientation)
Commitment: 6 - 8 hours per week
Fee: £ 2,200
- Rethink core business strategies based on your organisation’s resources and your position in the market
- Benchmark your business against competitors and respond to disruption and competition strategically
- Define what makes your business unique and learn how to protect and bolster it
- Explore design thinking as a strategy to foster consistent innovation in your organisation
- Learn to use blue ocean strategy to enhance your competitive positioning
- Harness customer journey mapping to build customer centric products and experiences
- Draft a strategic innovation plan for an organisation of your choice
- Orientation Module
- Module 1: The resource-based view of the firm
- Module 2: The trade-off between value creation and value capture
- Module 3: Value proposition and strategic resources
- Module 4: Cumulative resources and internal organisation
- Module 5: Innovation, competition, and blue ocean strategy
- Module 6: Disruption and competence destruction
- Module 7: Design thinking for an innovation system
- Module 8: Customer journey mapping and innovation in practice
Dr Lourdes Sosa – Associate Professor, LSE Department of Management
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is presented entirely online, in collaboration with leader in online education, GetSmarter. View this Competitive Strategy and Innovation online certificate course on the GetSmarter website.
Modules are released on a weekly basis, and can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
This interactive, supportive teaching model is designed for busy professionals and results in unprecedented certification rates for online courses.
All reading materials for this course will be made accessible to you through the Online Campus. Notes for each module are often downloadable, and you are able to save any information or collateral you use to your personal profile.