German: Level Three (Standard)
This information is for the 2016/17 session.
Mrs Doris Hermann-Ostrowski
Knowledge and skills of German at the A1/A2 level of CEFR are required, for example completion of the LSE Language Centre courses LN746 or LN748.
Participants should also:
- demonstrate commitment to regular attendance, completion of homework and all assessments
- dedicate at least two hours per week for coursework in addition to classes.
All students must take the online aptitude test and gain permission of the tutor in the Needs Analysis Interview to take this course.
- To develop the ability to use German effectively for purposes of practical communication in familiar contexts
- To establish the skills, language and attitudes required to promote and facilitate further study of German
- To improve the pronunciation of German sounds and sentence intonation
- To improve reading comprehension, oral and listening skills as well as written communication
- To improve accuracy in using inflexions, gender and word-order in sentences.
- To enable students to follow and discuss social, political and economic issues related to German-speaking countries at a basic to intermediate language level
- To bring students to level A2/B1 CEFR
- Talking and writing about past events and experiences.
- Talking and writing about jobs and professions.
- Asking for and giving advice.
- Talking and writing about future plans.
- Describing the behaviour of people.
- Talking and writing about cultural and social events.
- Expressing your personal opinion in discussions and arguments.
Structural Content: Improving the contextual understanding and use of grammatical structures:
- Past and future tenses
- Expressions of time and frequency
- Word order in main and subordinate clauses
- Graduating modal verbs
- Introduction of subjunctive and passive voice.
16 hours of classes in the MT. 22 hours of classes in the LT. 2 hours of classes in the ST.
This is a 40 hour-course. Please refer to the LSE timetable for course teaching arrangements.
- Schritte International 3, Kursbuch and Arbeitsbuch (Hueber) 2008, ISBN: 9783190018529.
Upon teacher's advice:
- Klipp und Klar, Übungsgrammatik Grundstufe Deutsch mit Lösungen, C Fandrych and U.Tallowitz, (Klett) 2008, ISBN: 9783126753227.
Continuous assessment (50%) in the MT.
Oral examination (30%) and in class assessment (20%) in the LT.
Department: Language Studies
Total students 2015/16: 8
Average class size 2015/16: 8