Spanish: Level 1 One (Standard)
This information is for the 2013/14 session.
Dr Rocio Diaz Bravo CMK 804
No previous knowledge required. All students welcome but they should: Demonstrate commitment to regular attendance, completion of homework, completion of the dossier and all assessments. Dedicate at least one hour per week for coursework in addition to classes. Admission into the course upon tutor’s approval during the information sessions. Student profile: For students whose first language is English but are not fluent (B1 CEFR) in any other Indo European language.
- To develop the ability to use Spanish effectively for purposes of practical communication at a survival level.
- To deal with a range of predictable simple language tasks using a limited range of language to meet the needs of differing but familiar situations and topics.
- To establish the skills, language and attitudes required to promote and facilitate further study of Spanish.
- To bring the students to level A1 of CEFR.
Course content: Communicative content:
- Asking for and giving personal information, directions and opinions.
- Describing people, objects and places.
- Talking about likes and dislikes
- Expressing preferences
- Talking about present actions
- Expressing intentions, ignorance, proposing alternatives
- Expressing frequency
- Describing what has happened.
Structural content: Present tense, Gender and plural of nouns and adjectives, Direct and indirect object pronouns, Reflexive pronouns, The present continuous, The gerund, Frequency adverbs, The present perfect.
12 hours of classes in the MT. 20 hours of classes in the LT. 8 hours of classes in the ST.
This is a 40 hour-course. Please refer to the LSE timetable for course teaching arrangements.
Continuous assessment (50%) in the MT, LT and ST.
Oral examination (30%) in the LT and ST.
In class assessment (20%) in the LT.
Department: Language Studies
Total students 2012/13: 48
Average class size 2012/13: 14