East Asia in the Age of Imperialism, 1839-1945
This information is for the 2017/18 session.
Dr Antony Best SAR 3.14
This course is available on the MSc in Comparative Politics, MSc in Empires, Colonialism and Globalisation, MSc in History of International Relations, MSc in International Affairs (LSE and Peking University), MSc in International and World History (LSE & Columbia) and MSc in Theory and History of International Relations. This course is available with permission as an outside option to students on other programmes where regulations permit.
There are no formal pre-requisites for this course, but some knowledge of the international history of East Asia would be useful.
The course looks at the origins and the political, strategic, economic and cultural consequences of the arrival of Western imperialism in East Asia. Subjects covered by the course include the clash between the Westphalian and Sinocentric international orders; the opium wars; the fall of the Tokugawa shogunate; the Japanese, Korean and Chinese responses to the arrival of the West; the history of Western imperialism in China and the rise of Chinese nationalism; the rise of Japanese imperialism; the Russo-Japanese War and its consequences; pan-Asianism, race and immigration; the Chinese revolution of 1911-12; the rise of intra-Asian trade; the effect of Wilsonian and communist internationalism; Japan's move towards aggressive expansion in the 1930s; the outbreak of the Pacific War.
10 hours of lectures and 15 hours of seminars in the MT. 10 hours of lectures and 15 hours of seminars in the LT. 1 hour of lectures in the ST.
Students on this course will have a reading week in Week 6 of MT and LT.
One revision lecture in the Summer Term.
Students will be required to write three essays over the academic year. The second essay will be assessed and the third essay will be a mock examination.
A detailed reading list will be issued at the start of the course, but the following provide a useful introduction to the themes, events and historiography: Shigeru Akita (ed.), Gentlemanly Capitalism, Imperialism and Global History (Basingstoke, 2002); Warren Cohen, (ed), Pacific Passage: The Study of American-East Asian Relations on the Eve of the Twenty-First Century (New York, 1996); Merle Goldman & Andrew Gordon, (ed.), Historical Perspectives on Contemporary East Asia (Cambridge, Mass. 2000); Akira Iriye, Japan and the Wider World: From the Mid-Nineteenth Century to the Present (London, 1997); Jonathan Spence, The Search for Modern China (1999); Chushichi Tsuzuki, The Pursuit of Power in Modern Japan 1825-1995 (Oxford, 2000).
Exam (75%, duration: 3 hours) in the main exam period.
Essay (25%, 3000 words).
A three-hour unseen examination in ST (75%) and the second essay during the academic year (3,000 words) will be assessed and make up the remaining 25%.
Department: International History
Total students 2016/17: 27
Average class size 2016/17: 13
Controlled access 2016/17: No
Value: One Unit