I was attracted to the LSE program by the large range of subjects covered, and I wasn’t disappointed, having benefitted from intercollegiate teaching at KCL. Both lectures and seminars are given by experts in the field, and class sizes are generally small, allowing personal interaction. I also profited from attending events organised through LSE’s Centre for Philosophy of Natural and Social Science and the University of London’s nearby Institute of Philosophy. These provided access to cutting edge research, and were particularly valuable for provoking ideas for my dissertation, but were also useful through enabling me to put faces to the names I was reading, making it easier to get a feel for the fields I was studying.

Students and faculty often socialise together at departmental parties that are held throughout the year, and in the George IV pub directly opposite the department. In the summer students flock to the neighbouring Lincoln’s Inn Fields, a large public park.

As with any MSc in the UK, the full-time course runs for 12 months and is demanding, however at the LSE all exams take place near the end of the academic year, allowing students a chance to catch up on any work missed, though I don’t recommend falling behind! I have found that the program is highly regarded both nationally and internationally, and it has been a perfect stepping stone between my undergraduate degree in philosophy and my current graduate studies in cognitive and decision science at UCL.