I originally came to London to do a Masters in theoretical physics, but from the very beginning I hoped I would also be able to take one or two courses in Philosophy of Science at the place I knew some of the all-time heroes of philosophy of science had worked: LSE’s Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method. In the end, I enjoyed it so much that having finished my Physics Masters I asked whether I could remain at LSE as a visiting student to attend the MSc courses in Philosophy and History of Science. In doing so, I benefited enormously from the course’s unique diversity: its high-quality lectures and students from various backgrounds meant that I studied philosophy of science sitting next to a former particle physicist, a sociologist, and a journalist who had worked for New Scientist and Scientific American.

Whilst at LSE, I visited some of the research seminars in philosophy of physics at the University of Oxford. Whenever people asked me where I was based I received a knowing and appreciative nod on telling them that I was studying philosophy of science at LSE.  Indeed, this appreciation has been long-lived, for when I later applied for a DPhil in Philosophy at Oxford, I was one of few applicants who began the DPhil immediately rather than first having to take the Philosophy BPhil (a 2 year Masters course). Looking back, I am sure that having been at LSE significantly benefited my application – and indeed, significantly benefited me.