Home > News and media > Video and audio > Channels > Public lectures and events > Public lectures and events: media player

Public lectures and events: media player

Loading the player...

Download : Audio, Video, Slides+Audio, Slides, Slides

Speaker(s): Professor Danny Dorling
Chair: Professor Stuart Corbridge

Recorded on 7 October 2014 at Old Theatre, Old Building

It is widely accepted that high rates of inequality are damaging to society, although some skeptics remain to be convinced. Perhaps it is because the most damaging form of economic inequality now appears to occur when the very richest 1% take more and more, even if the other 99% are becoming more equal. So what exactly is it about inequality that causes most harm?

Danny Dorling (@dannydorling) is the Halford Mackinder Professor of Geography, Oxford. He advises government and the office for national statistics, appears regularly on TV and radio, and writes for the Guardian, New Statesman and other papers. His new book Inequality and the 1% is published by Verso Books.

Professor Corbridge is Deputy Director and Provost of LSE. He is a professor of international development with longstanding research interests in governance and the political economy of growth, especially in India.

The Geography and Environment department at LSE (@LSEGeography) is a centre of international academic excellence in economic, urban and development geography, environmental social science and climate change.

Credits: Tom Sturdy (Audio Post-Production), LSE AV Services (Audio Recording).

Event posting

LSE YouTube channel

Event organiser

Books

Share:Facebook|Twitter|LinkedIn|