How to apply

Academic qualifications

You will need a bachelor's degree with honours, with a grade of first or upper second class, or equivalent in a related area. Professional experience, although desirable, is not an essential requirement of the programme.

If your native language is not English, you will need to have passed either the Test Of English as a Foreign Language TOEFL or the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) tests, obtaining a score of at least 7 for IELTS and 627 for TOEFL (263 if you are taking the computer based test).

The School also has a Language Centre, where special courses of English for academic purposes and English for the social sciences are available. 


For more information on how to apply in each university, please see the links below.

Year one: London School of Economics and Political Science

To apply for the MSc Double Degree in Global Media and Communications with Annenberg School, USC or Fudan University please see the How to Apply page on the Graduate Admissions website.


For Programme specific information please see the Graduate Prospectus page.

Year two: University of Southern California 

Students applying for the LSE/USE Double Degree must apply to both LSE and USC.


You can find more information on the USC Graduate Admission Pages.

Year two: Fudan University

Students applying for the LSE/Fudan Double Degree only need to apply to LSE


Applicants from mainland China


Junior college students who are citizens of the People’s Republic of China (PRC), including students who are already enrolled in undergraduate programmes in Fudan University and other prestigious mainland Chinese universities, are eligible to apply to this programme through the recommendation (推荐) system, which enables qualified undergraduate students to participate in graduate programmes without taking the National Postgraduate Entrance Examination. Interested applicants should first apply, in September, to track three of Fudan School of Journalism’s two-year professional master degree programme Global Media and Communication International Double Master Degree Program. Applicants are required to have, or expect to have, a minimum GPA 3.5 (or equivalent) from their previous study, as well as meeting the necessary language entry requirements. For details, please visit the following webpage:


Applicants from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao


Applicants who are citizens of Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao, are required by Chinese law to complete the National Postgraduate Entrance Examination for Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao applicants and meet all the requirements, before their applications are jointly reviewed by Fudan University and LSE. For details, please visit the following webpage:




Please consult with Fudan University of School of Journalism before submitting an application.




Mr Wang Kun,


Programme Coordinator,


LSE-Fudan Double-Degree


Fudan University – School of Journalism


Tel: 00-86-21-55664686



Year Two: University of Cape Town


Students applying for the LSE/UCT Double Degree only need to apply to LSE. They must meet both the LSE and UCT entry requirements.

Financial Requirements and Assistance

In addition to the academic qualifications specified above, you will need to make sure you have secured funding for both years of study.  In the USC stream, there will be plenty of opportunities for internships in the United States and for field work. Tuition fees and living expenses vary, but as a guideline, fees for the academic year 2017/18 will be as follows:

London School of Economics and Political Science


The amounts below are an estimate used for student visa purposes and they should not be considered a final bill. Actual costs may be higher.


LSE tuition fees: £20,112


Living expenses for a year in London: at least £14,400


For some possible sources of financial help, refer to the webpages of the LSE Financial Support Office.

University of Southern California

USC tuition fees, books and supplies (Figures are based on 2015 estimated costs. Actual costs may be higher): $41,678


Living Expenses (Figures include average estimated amounts for room and board, personal expenses, and local transportation. Actual expenses may be higher): $20,716


Total (Your financial statement must show funding in an amount equal to or greater than the figure shown): $62,394 


Additional Expenses for Dependents: Spouse: $7200.00

             Each Child: $3600.00


Please note that USC requires an affidavit for the full amount of tuition fees plus a $75 deposit in order to process applications. This deposit will be reimbursed to you because you pay the LSE application fee.



 Details about submitting financial support documents to USC are available on the USC Graduate Admission website

Fudan University

The amounts below are an estimate used for student visa purposes and they should not be considered a final bill. Actual costs may be higher.


Tuition at Fudan: RMB 80,000 for the year, plus US$100 registration fee (tuition fee and registration fee can be paid in EUROs or USD).


Living Expenses for a Year at Fudan: approximately RMB 50,000.


There are various scholarship opportunities for students studying on the LSE-Fudan Global programme. Please visit the Fudan Scholarships pages for information on financial support on offer.  

University of Cape Town 

Tuition fees and living expenses vary, but as a guideline, fees for the 2016 academic year were as follows: 


Typical tuition fees for MA qualifications amount to ZAR30,640 for the coursework component (comprising four semester courses) and ZAR13,990 for the dissertation/creative production component.  


International students will also need to cover the International Term Fee of ZAR37,000 and an International Admin Service Fee of ZAR3,275. 


Self-catering student residence accommodation: ZAR27,200


Meals: ZAR15,300


Books, stationery and equipment: ZAR9,000


Living expenses, transport, pocket money, sundries: ZAR7,500 


For further details on UCT tuition fees, please consult the Student Fees Handbook or contact the UCT Fees office:


For any other international student queries, please contact the International Academic Programmes Office (IAPO):