Home > Life at LSE > Accommodation > Private housing > Finding private housing


How to contact us

Residential Services Office
3.02 Saw Swee Hock Student Centre
Houghton Street
London WC2A 2AE

Tel: +44 (0)20 7955 7531
Email: accommodation@lse.ac.uk| 

Opening hours:

Monday to Friday 
10:00 am - 4:30 pm 



Finding private housing

Be prepared to spend quite a number of days looking for accommodation and expect to adjust your standards - especially in the first instance. London property prices are some of the highest in the world.

LSE Studentpad online private housing service

LSE Residential Services run LSE Studentpad, an online portal which lets you search for private student accommodation in homes, flats, flat shares and lodgings in London. Find your perfect student house with LSE Studentpad - private housing portal|.

Private Accommodation Office

From the middle of August until the start of term time in early October, the Private Accommodation Office is based at the School, 1st  floor of the Saw Swee Hock Student Centre.

The office has information about and internet access to privately rented accommodation and lists of available rooms, bedsits, flats and houses.

Offers of housing will be made online and we'll also provide printed lists to take away and general advice on transport and locations.

Other housing advice offices

The Students' Union Advice Centre will be available for legal advice on tenancy agreements and tenant's rights.
Visit: SU Advice Centre|
Saw Swee Hock Student Centre,
1 Sheffield Street,
Tel: +44 (0)20 7955 7158
Email: su.advice@lse.ac.uk|

University of London Housing Services (ULHS)
You may also visit the University of London Housing Services (ULHS) in the University of London Union (ULU). They act for all the colleges of the University, although before you can use this office you will need to show your registration card or letter of acceptance from the LSE.
Visit: University of London Housing Services (ULHS)
|Malet Street
University of London Union
4th Floor
Tel: +44 (0)20 7862 8880
Email: housing@lon.ac.uk|

Opening hours: all year round Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 10am to 5pm, Tuesday 11am to 5pm; and during September, Saturday 10am to 2pm. 

As well as providing housing information, the University of London's Self-Catered Accommodation Team provides and manages accommodation for around 550 students in several self-catering flats and houses. For details and vacancy information of these ULHS centrally managed properties visit the ULHS office or call +44 (0)20 7862 8881.

Letting agencies and estate agents

Letting agents and estate agents are private businesses used by landlords to advertise and sometimes manage their properties. 

Agencies can be a good way to find private accommodation but caution is advised. Under the Accommodation Agencies Act of 1953, it is an offence to demand a registration fee or take money for simply supplying details of accommodation to let. However agencies may charge a fee once they have found you accommodation. This can sometimes be as much as three week's rent and most will also charge to draw up contracts or an inventory, so do ask before you register what charges to expect. 

For a list of agents visit Zoopla| or the ULHS website|

Also see: LSE Studentpad - private housing portal| 

Notice boards

Checking advertisements on notice boards in newsagents' windows and in supermarkets is one of the cheapest ways to find accommodation. 

The accommodation may also be cheaper than that advertised in newspapers or through agencies. 

However, you will mainly find rooms, bedsits and bed and breakfast places rather than flats. There are also useful notice boards outside the ULHS office in ULU.

Also see: LSE Studentpad - private housing portal|

Newspapers and publications

Loot (daily) - Loot's website publishes the previous days adverts online. To get the most up to date list of properties you will have to buy a copy of their paper. Loot is useful for giving an indication of the kind of properties currently available and prices.

  • The Evening Standard(Monday - Friday)
  • Time Out(Wednesday)
  • The Guardian Guidein the Guardian newspaper(Saturday) - this is especially good for flat shares. 
  • Also, try local newspapers (usually published weekly): these are particularly useful if you are concentrating your search in a specific area.
  • Zooplafor list of estate or letting agents.
  • Try Up My Streetfor local information and links to agents.

Useful links

A guide to abbreviations used in adverts |

A guide to London postal areas and district names - N,E,S,SW,and SE explained|