Find books and journals in the Library, search for articles online, learn about the best online resources for your subject and get help with using our resources and services.
Use the list of contents to skip to the relevant part of this guide.
News and policy
If you need any help you can get in touch with your librarian for advice or to arrange a consultation. You can find their details on the Academic Support Librarian web page.
Learn the location of relevant collections and useful resources for your studies.
The Course Collection (1st floor) contains copies of essential texts from your reading list. These books can be borrowed for 3 days and renewed if no one else requests them.
Most reading lists are now available via Reading Lists @ LSE.
There are many other books in the Library which will be useful for your research. To locate these enter keywords in Library Search.
Browse the Library floor plans [PDF].
Useful for quickly checking definitions, summaries of theories and thinkers.
Helpful titles for your subject include:
- Oxford Reference Online - contains several hundred dictionaries and encyclopedia. These include English and foreign language dictionaries as well as specialist works on social policy, social care and philosophy.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography - find biographical information on over 50,000 men and women who have shaped the history of the UK from earliest times to the present day.
How to find journals and some of the key journal databases to use.
Most of the time you should be able to find and access the articles you need through Library Search. However, we also provide access to powerful databases that can help you discover articles that are not available through Library Search, or even search engines like Google.
When we don't provide access to the full text of the articles you need you can request them through Interlending services.
These databases focus more narrowly on specialist subject areas. They can be used to supplement the general social science resources listed above.
- Global Health - specialist bibliographic, abstracting and indexing database covering public health research and practice.
- Popline - covers population, demography, public health, family planning, AIDS and health care law.
- Social Care Online - social care topics provided by the Social Care Institute for Excellence covering all aspects of social care, including social policy, housing, child welfare, social work.
- Biosis Previews via the Web Of Knowledge - comprehensive biology, life sciences and biomedical research database.
- CINAHL plus with full text - comprehensive nursing and allied health research database.
- Cochrane Library - medical & psychological topics in a collection of evidence - based medicine databases including the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- History of Science, Technology & Medicine - four different databases on the history of science, technology and medicine.
- NHS Evidence: Health Information Resources.
- PsycInfo - premium database for Psychology & Psychiatry.
- PubMed - premium medical database supplied by the National Library of Medicine.
News and policy
Find out about popular newspapers, policy sites and streaming media services.
Many newspaper websites offer free access. We provide you with additional access to searchable back files via the following subscription services:
- Nexis - contains the full text of a large number of UK and foreign newspapers from 1980 onwards. Updated daily.
- Factiva - has extensive English language and foreign coverage content. Emphasis upon business and trade news.
- FT.com - register with your LSE credentials and benefit from our institutional access.
Research often involves the consultation of government policy. Most departments have websites where you can find the latest press releases, reports, regulations and statistical data. Some UK examples:
- Box of Broadcasts (UK Access only) - a streaming TV service. Access TV and radio programmes from over 60 channels. Includes BBC TV and radio plus 10 foreign language channels. Content is from 2007 onwards. Transcripts are available for TV and radio news programmes. You can also search for TV Listings using the TRILT database.
Find out about theses, data and current research.
- Dissertations & Theses Global - an online database containing the full text of thousands of PhD from universities worldwide. It includes references to all UK and Irish doctoral theses produced since 1715 with full text content where available. If an item you need is not available online you can place a request for it through Interlending services.
- LSE Theses Online - contains many full text LSE PhD theses. Older items that are not available online are available in the Library.
The Data Library contains a wide range of data and statistics from across the globe. In some cases data is only available from specific machines in the Library. The Moodle course, Library Companion for Data Users, provides a good introduction to data resources and will help you locate material.
The Data Library team is also available to assist with any queries you may have about finding data or using individual resources.
We provide access to a number of general databases that contain country level economic and politics data that will be of value to researchers.
- Zetoc - use this service to set up alerts and receive tables of contents from your favourite journals.
- LSE Research Online - check for recent research from your academic department.
Contact your librarian for further guidance and support. You can find their details on the Academic Support Librarian web page.