Frequently Asked Questions

These frequently asked questions will help you with some basic enquiries. However, if you have any questions or problems before during or after your course please feel free to contact us.

  • The Language Centre Reception is located on the ground floor of 20 Kingsway (20KSW).
  • The Language Centre Reception is open 09:30-18:30 Monday-Thursday closing early on Fridays at 17:00. 
  • For both the Christmas and Easter holiday weeks the LSE, and thus the Language Centre Reception, is closed.
  • Also feel free to email us at

New Academic Year Structure

From 2015-16 LSE will be adopting a new academic year structure. This will include reading weeks in both the Michaelmas and Lent Terms.            

For all MFL Certificate Courses there will be normal teaching during reading weeks.

When do courses start and end?

Courses start week 4 of the Michaelmas term and run during term time until the end of the April (a few courses do finish earlier, this will be stated on the LSE Teaching Timetable). Please check the LSE Teaching Timetable using the code and group number for your language class, this will be stated on your registration form. Make sure you make any note of changes to classrooms during the course. If you are not sure of them, please check the LSE Term dates.

What if I stop attending?

If you fail to attend three consecutive classes we will email you to see what the problem is and ask if you will be returning to class. If you wish to return we will hope that attendance improves otherwise you will not benefit from the course as much as we would like you to. If you decide to drop the course and let us know we will take you off the class register. If we do not receive a response and you do not return to class we will assume you are no longer taking the course and remove you from the class register.

Can I audit classes before registering for a course?

No, you cannot audit the course before registering. However, we have information on the courses available online for you to review, there are information sessions for beginners courses which you can attend to find out more and if you are not a beginner you will have an individual 1-2-1 with a language teacher before deciding whether to register.

What do I do if I want to withdraw from a course?

If you do need to withdraw from a course we would be grateful if you could complete our Exit Form  in case you have any ideas on how we could improve our service. Unfortunately once courses commence we are unable to give refunds under any circumstances unless you have a timetable clash with one of your core LSE courses that we cannot resolve.

Can I change course after they commence?

In theory yes but in practice you may have to wait until a place becomes available in the group you want to move to.

  • For beginers it is important that you make the right choice. If you have any doubts please attend one of the information sessions or contact the Co-ordinator. We strongly advise students wishing to join a Fast Track course to check the prerequisites.
  • For non-beginners you will have advice on the right course choice from a language teacher during a 1-2-1 appointment.

What if I have problems with the examination date or sitting the examination in general?

Much of the course assessment is continual and thus conducted through the teaching year. However, if you are likely to miss the final examination part of the assessment process for any reason, including illness, you must contact your class teacher/appropriate Language Co-ordinator during their office hour or the Language Centre Reception for further advice on +44 (0)20 7955 6713.

If you are taken ill during an examination, you should tell the class teacher/invigilator immediately so that the necessary action can be taken to help you.

If you are ill immediately before or on the day of an examination you must contact either the LSE Health Service or your own doctor and forward your medical certificate and a letter detailing how the illness has affected you to the Chair of the Modern Foreign Language Certificate Course Examination Board (care of the Language Centre Reception, LSE, Houghton Street, London, WC2A 2AE) within seven days of the examination.

If you have a clash with an examination you must contact your class teacher/appropriate Language Co-ordinator during their office hour. Any exceptional circumstances can be taken into account and your case presented to the Examination Board.

What if I am not happy with my result?

If you chose not to tell the School about circumstances that may have affected your performance, and you believe this may have affected your results, then the only route available to you at this stage is to appeal your results. Please see the Regulations for the consideration of appeals against decisions of the boards of examiners for Language Centre Courses (i.e. non degree courses) for further information.

This same appeals procedure should be used if any student feels they have good grounds for appealing the decision of the board of examiners (i.e. not just illness or circumstances that may have affected your performance).

Please read the procedures as outlined in the above regulations. As stated, an appeal should be made in writing to the Chair of the Modern Foreign Language Certificate Course Examination Board (care of the Language Centre Reception, LSE Language Centre, Houghton Street, London, WC2A 2AE) within four weeks of the date on which the decision you are appealing was published. This can also be emailed to

Does the mark in the course count towards my degree or appear on my transcript?

No, the mark will not count towards your degree. You will, however, receive an LSE certificate (on passing the course) and if you are an LSE student the course will be included in your PDAM LSE's Personal Development Aide Memoire - PDAM

Where can I find past papers?

Past papers are available if you want to get ready for your final assessment.

Who can I speak to about my course?

If you need to speak to your teacher (just before, during or after class) please do, they are here to help you! They may refer you to one of the Co-ordinators office hours or you may prefer to go straight to them. Office hours during term time will appear when term begins.  Every teacher does not have an office hour but there will be a Co-ordinator for each course.

What can I do if I am not happy with the course?

We hope that you will be happy with your chosen course but if any circumstances arise with which you are not happy then we follow the LSE Service Complaints Procedure which provides a framework to help to resolve any issues.

To read this procedure please see the LSE Service Complaints Procedure.

Where it is appropriate to do so, a complainant should, in the first instance, attempt to resolve his/her complaint through informal discussion with those directly involved in its subject matter. If it becomes clear that the informal stage is not going to be effective, then the formal stages outlined in the LSE Service Complaints Procedure should be instigated at the earliest opportunity.

Where and how do I find out about my result and certificate?

Certificates and Final results will be available the day after the MFL Certificate Examination Board meets. This is usually late May/early June. We will then email all classes to announce that Certificates or Letters of Attendance can be collected from the Language Centre Reception from this time until just after Undergraduate and Graduate presentation ceremonies. After graduation ceremonies (mid July) we will begin to forward any Certificates that have not been collected to your permanent address. Therefore please make sure your permanent address is up to date by checking LSE for You. If you are not a member of LSE you can phone the Language Centre Reception on +44 (0)20 7955 6713 or please come in person to check we have your correct details.

All our Certificate Courses follow the Council of Europe Assessment Profiles. The Level you have obtained is indicated on the reverse Certificate as an equivalence (these profiles are included in their Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

Can I get copies of my certificate(s)?

Yes you can. Any time you need a copy please follow this link to Request a Reprint and pay the fee.

What do I do about timetable clashes?

LSE students will see all 'LN' courses in their personal timetables via LSE for You.

If you find you have a timetable clash with one of your core courses we will do everything we can to try and find an alternative. Please check our Course Availability page to check availability for the class you want to change to.

  • If it is a straight forward swap to the same type of course (i.e. just a different group number) we should be able to do the change immediately, please use our class change form to notify us of your request.
  • If the class you want to move to is full or there are no other options or the change involves moving to a different type of course, please speak with your class teacher but also a visit to the appropriate Language Co-ordinator's office hour may be required. This will especially be the case if the change involves a move to another level or type of course. They will need to check to make sure the course is appropriate and check this has the agreement of the teacher of your current class (who is best placed to comment); they will then liaise directly with us to make the change official so you appear on the class register.

Do you have a user satisfaction survey?

We welcome feedback at any time whether this be direct to your teacher, during Co-ordinators office hours, via Reception by email or in person...whichever way you chose. We also run a User Satisfaction Survey in February each year to give everyone who has been in receipt of Language Centre services a chance to express their views. Everyone who registered for a course in the current academic session (and those in receipt of services such as proofreading, translation and authentication etc) will be sent an email inviting them to take part. The results of our User Satisfaction Surveys will be published as soon as possible following the closing date (usually two weeks).

Is there any learning support or help with studying?

Yes, remember that consolidation of class work plays a big part when learning languages. Our Learning Support Pages carry useful advice on any aspect of your language learning. Staff at the Language Centre Reception are also available for advice.

What about ID cards and IT accounts?

If you are not a current LSE member we will order you an LSE ID card that will give you access to LSE buildings. You should carry this with you at all times when on the LSE campus. LSE Alumni should make sure they carry their Alumni card with them at all times.

If you are not a currrent LSE member then we will order you an IT account. This includes LSE Alumni.

We will contact you when your card or IT account are ready to be used.

We will use this email account to communicate any course information to you. We will not forward you any other information from ourselves or third parties. Should you wish to be kept informed of other LSE Language Centre events and language related activities then please follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

You should also use this LSE IT account to access your Moodle course and not any public account you may have used during the registration process.

New Academic Building