Home > Language Centre > English Programmes > Presessional Programme > Frequently Asked Questions and Help

Frequently Asked Questions and Help

Who can I contact if I have any questions?

If you have a question that is not covered by the course information given in these pages or you have a question about an application you have submitted please email us at language.centre.course.administration@lse.ac.uk and we will respond to you as quickly as possible.

What if my main programme starts before the end of the Presessional course?

You will need to be available to complete the whole course. Therefore, please make sure you are available for the duration of the course and that the registration dates for your main programme of study do not overlap. If they do then, regretably, we will not be able to accept you on the course.

What about accommodation?

You can apply for LSE accommodation via www.lse.ac.uk/accommodation

The LSE Accommodation Office also has good links with Independent and Intercollegiate Halls so please contact them to find out how they may best be able to assist you.

What about insurance?

It is advisable for students to take out a Personal Possessions Insurance Policy as their possessions are not covered under the Hall of Residence’s Insurance scheme.

Applicants from countries outside the European Union who do not have a reciprocal health agreement with the United Kingdom should arrange private medical insurance to cover all eventualities of health care. Students from countries with reciprocal health agreements with the United Kingdom will be covered for emergency medical conditions, but may wish to take out private medical insurance to cover non-emergencies.

In the unlikely event that we have to cancel the course due to low registration numbers it is also advisable for students to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance to cover this and any other eventualities of travel disruption.

What do I do about visas?

The LSE has published some helpful information on the type of visa you might need and how to apply. This is especially useful with regard to the new Points Based Immigration System for non-European Union (EU)/European Economic Area (EEA) students. Please consult this important information which will help you through this process. Please note a CAS (if you require one) can only be issued by LSE once you have accepted and paid for your Language Centre course. Information on this will be sent to you on acceptance.

On the first day of the course is it essential that you bring your passport and any visa documentation with you. This is because we are obliged to check you are here with a valid and correct visa. We will also need to take a copy of your passport and visa if you hold one to prove eligibility to study in the UK. You will not be able to commence your course until any visa you hold has been checked.

LSE English language requirements

Information on LSE English language requirements is available from LSE graduate admissions.

Frequently asked questions

In addition to this information it would be advisable to read through all the information sent to you by your Department before making your travel and accommodation plans.