Home > Language Centre > English Programmes > EAP Foundation Programme > Frequently Asked Questions Before Applying

Frequently Asked Questions Before Applying

How can I improve my English?

If your first language is not English and you are hoping to study Social Sciences at the LSE or another UK University, there are many ways we can help you. Please read on and then have a look at our Foundation and Presessional programmes.

Which IELTS or TOEFL grades do I need?

You really need to check the individual course requirements in either the Undergraduate or Graduate prospectus for LSE. However, the general ruling at UK Universities is that an absolute minimum of 6.5/7.0 IELTS or 603/627 TOEFL is required for a postgraduate or an undergraduate degree. It should be noted that all LSE degrees rely heavily on written work, and therefore a high level of competence is expected. This information here on Language equivalency may prove useful to you but should only be used as guidance.

How do I know how good my English is if I haven't got an IELTS/TOEFL score?

For UK Universities you really need to have an IELTS certificate, and you can arrange to take the examination at various Britishc Council offices around the work. TOEFL scores are more used for US Universities. Do feel free to contact us directly to seek further information or advice.

When should I start my programme to improve my English?

Generaly it takes 200 contact hours i.e. one of our 10 week programmes to improve your IELTS score by 0.5. So, if you need 6.5 by the beginning of October and you already have an IELTS score of 5.5 you would need to do our Spring and Summer or our Summer and a suitable combination of our Presessional programmes. By remembering that one 10 week programme will help you to improve your score by 0.5, you should be able to estimate how many of our programmes you need.

If I take a course at LSE, can I take my IELTS test at LSE too?

Unfortunately not. We are not an IELTS or TOEFL testing Centre and in fact even if we were, one of the rules is that you cannot test your own students. However you can take your test at a number of different IELTS centres in London, and the IELTS Web Site has information on the test itself, these centres in London and around the world. Information on the TOEFL test can also be found here.

What is special about the LSE Language Centre?

Our teachers are not only fully qualified but also have an educational background in the fields of Politics, Economics and other related areas. So, if you choose to improve your English with us, you can be sure that your English studies will relate to the vocabulary, learning situations and study skills that you will need later on when you start your course.

What if I don't want to commit to a full year or two terms of study?

If you would rather not commit to a full year (or two terms) of study you can always apply to take 1 term initially. Then whilst studying you can decide whether or not to book for a second or third time. This is also a good idea if you don't want to commit financially to a long programme as you can decide after the course has begun whether or not you wish to continue. All this is of course subject to availability.

Will I 'get into' LSE after completing the English Foundation Course?

Our English for Academic Purposes Foundation course is NOT an access course. You'll need to check what academic qualifications you need to apply for an Undergraduate programme or a Graduate programme at LSE.