Glossary of terms


Alumni - former LSE students

Appeals - if a student feels the grade awarded is unfair, s/he can put the case in writing and appeal against the decision of the Exam Board. (NB the right to appeal is subject to School regulations.) See Appeals|

Academic Adviser (undergraduate) - every undergraduate student has an academic adviser, whose duties are set out in the Code of Practice on Teaching, Learning, and Assessment printed in the Undergraduate Handbook. Advisers must see their students at least twice a term, and in the first term of the first year at least three times. Students should feel that they have full opportunity to outline their problems and receive help.

Academic Registrar's Division (ARD) - is responsible for the administrative processes supporting the recruitment, admission, registration and examination of undergraduate and graduate students, teaching quality assurance processes and servicing related committees. See Academic Registrar's Division |

Award - this is the classification the students receive at the end of their studies, eg student x was awarded Distinction for the MSc in Economics.


Board of Examiners - departmental committee that agrees finalised grades, and decides final award classifications. Each department allocates an academic to lead the meetings for each programme every year. S/he is known as the Chair of the Board of Examiners.


Capped course - a capped course is a course with a limited number of places available to students, or is limited to students on a particular degree programme. See  Capped graduate courses 2009/10 and Capped undergraduate courses 2009/10  for further information.

Certificate (diploma) - the official document confirming the award of the degree. Bachelors, Masters and PhD certificates are produced by University of London. Diploma programme certificates are produced by LSE.

Classes - the groups into which students on a particular course are divided  for seminars. 

Course - the modules a student takes to make up their programme| of study.

Course registration - the process of recording the courses that each student is taking in a current academic year. This information is used by the Academic Registrar's Division| to make examination arrangements and process examination results.

Certificate of registration - a letter used to prove registration at the School either currently or in the past. Students may need these to open bank accounts or to get council tax exemption. Certificates are instantly available to current registered students via LSE for You|.


Dean of Graduate studies - has a wide range of duties concerned with relations between the School and its postgraduate students. S/he is available to any graduate student who wishes to raise any problem, academic or otherwise. In particular, s/he is available to counsel individual students who are experiencing difficulties, and can help in the reallocation of students to supervisors. S/he can be contacted on  |

Dean of Undergraduate studies - has a wide range of responsibilities covering all aspects of the undergraduate experience at the school. S/he may be consulted by any undergraduate student who wishes to discuss any problem, whether academic or personal. S/he can be contacted on| 

Deferral - the process of postponing an assessment for a year after tuition is received. It is possible to defer either a first attempt or a re-sit attempt at an assessment. Students who defer need a good reason and permission from the department. See: Deferral|

Departmental Tutor (undergraduate) - each department has a departmental tutor, whose responsibilities are described under 'Your Programme of Study' in the Undergraduate Handbook. The departmental tutor allocates tutors to undergraduate students. The departmental tutor should be able to give advice on more complex academic and personal issues.

Diploma Supplement - The purpose of the supplement is to provide sufficient recognition of qualifications (diplomas, degrees, etc). It is designed to provide a description of the nature, level, context and status of the studies that were pursued and successfully completed by the individual named on the original qualifications. It is free from any value judgements, equivalence statements or suggestions about recognition. See: The Diploma Supplement|


Examination Board - see Board of Examiners|

Extenuating circumstances - see Mitigating circumstances during the examination period|


Intercollegiate students  - are registered at one University of London College but take courses in two or more colleges.

Intermediate transcript - an official document sent to each student after each examination session confirming the marks.

Interruption - a student is temporarily leaving the programme, for financial, personal or other reasons and full tuition has not been received. An interruption normally lasts for one year. (NB students may only interrupt with the School's permission). See Interruption of registration|


Mitigation - circumstances such as illness or personal problems which have affected the student's attendance or performance in the examinations. See Mitigating circumstances during the examination period| for further information on how to submit mitigation.

Mode of study - this refers to whether the student studies full-time or part-time.

Module - see Course|


Offer holder - someone who has applied for and received an offer of a place on an LSE programme


Plagiarism - see the School's Regulations on assessment offences and plagiarism|


Programme - the degree the student is studying for, eg MSc in Economics.

Programme tutor - each department appoints a named academic for each programme it provides, who is responsible for the programme's academic content and for all administrative matters relating to that programme, such as assigning supervisors and providing clear information for students.

Prospective student - someone who has not yet applied for a place on an LSE programme or who has applied and is waiting for a response from the School


Re-entry - the process of registering for an assessment which the student failed or deferred. Re-entry for failed or deferred courses is not automatic.  Students must re-enter for failed or deferred courses so the correct examination papers and arrangements can be made. See Re-entry (undergraduate); Re-entry (graduate)|

Registration - enrolment onto a degree/ diploma programme.

Repeat tuition - tuition for a course or degree that a student is receiving for the second time. See Re-entry|  for further information

Research student - a student enrolled on an MPhil or PhD programme

Re-sit - If a student fails an assessment s/he is offered a second attempt known as a re-sit attempt.  
See Re-entry  for further information


Seminar group - see Classes|

Supervisor (graduate) - every graduate student has a supervisor. The duties of the supervisors are set out in codes of practice for Master's programmes, for diploma programmes, and for research students and their supervisors. Each student should meet their supervisor two or three times a term. Supervisors are responsible for advising students on their academic progress and on any academic problems they may experience. They also undertake a supporting role, and in the case of non-academic problems may refer students to the appropriate agency within the School.


Teacher - every class and seminar has its designated teacher, the person who leads these sessions. If a student is having difficulty with these sessions the teacher is the first person s/he should speak to.


  1. Information on the times of lectures and classes.  A timetable by module (course code) can be found on the Timetables website. Some students can view a personal timetable through LSE for You.  To learn more about personal timetables visit the Timetables website.  
  2. The schedule of when exams will take place during the Summer Term.  Initially, students can view a course-by-course examination timetable.  A personalised examinations timetable is made available via LSE for You to most students at the start of the Summer Term.    See Examinations for details.

Transcript - official document sent to each student confirming the examination marks and final classification.. Duplicate copies of transcripts can normally be produced within three working days if required. See Transcript request frequently asked questions (FAQs)|


Withdrawal - leaving your degree programme permanently. See Withdrawing permanently (graduates);  Withdrawing permanently from a programme (undergraduates)