Changes to registration status

If you hold a Tier 4 visa you should seek advice from the International Student Immigration Service (visa information) in advance of applying to change study status as any change will have implications for your visa.


Interrupting your studies|

A programme must be followed continuously except by permission of the Chair of the Research Degrees Subcommittee. 

If you wish to interrupt your studies you must apply in advance for permission to do so. Any student can apply for an interruption of studies, but approval is not guaranteed ...


Undertaking fieldwork|

If you need to undertake fieldwork as part of your programme of study, you should discuss this with your supervisor and Doctoral Programme Director in the first instance.  

You must apply at least two months in advance of when you plan to go on fieldwork ...


Changing to part-time study|

In order to change to part-time registration students must prove that they fulfil one or more of the conditions. 

Please note that approval is not guaranteed, please ensure you provide as full information as required for your request to be considered ...


Residing outside the UK|

While you are registered at the LSE, you will need to reside in the UK in order to attend seminars, taught courses and supervision meetings. 

In exceptional circumstances, you may be granted permission to reside outside of the UK whilst continuing with your research ...


Extending your maximum period of registration|

Students are subject to a maximum period of registration of four years (12 terms) if full-time and eight years (24 terms) if part-time.

Extension beyond the maximum period will only be allowed in exceptional cases ...


Studying elsewhere|

Should you wish to study elsewhere for a short period whilst continuing your research (for example on a placement at another university) you will need to seek permission to do so....


Withdrawing from your programme|

This form should be used by MPhil/PhD and Visiting Research students to notify the Research Degrees Unit of their withdrawal from their programme. You are advised to speak to your supervisor, and/or the Research Degrees Unit about your options beforehand.