Deferrals FAQs

 1. What is a deferral?

If you have received full tuition in all of your courses, but circumstances beyond your control, such as illness, prevent you from being able to sit your exams or submit your dissertation, you may apply to defer these assessments to the next academic year.  You would return to the School in the Summer term of the following academic year to sit your exams, or submit your dissertation by the following year's submission deadline (please check with your department directly for the deadline). An overview of the deferral process is available from the Deferrals website. If you have not received full tuition, please refer to the Interruption website.


 2. What is the difference between an interruption of studies and deferral?

A deferral is usually granted if you have received tuition in all your courses, but are unable to sit your examinations or submit your dissertation due to extenuating circumstances.


An Interruption of Studies is usually granted if, due to medical or extenuating circumstances, you have missed a significant amount of teaching and would like to interrupt your studies for one academic year, e.g. if you interrupt your studies in the Lent term, you will resume your studies in the following Lent term. You would therefore continue your programme in the subsequent year and pay the Lent and Summer term fees at that year's rate.


Further information is available from the Interruption of Studies website.


  3. Will I have to pay any fees when I come back to sit my deferred exam/s?

There are no tuition fees to pay as you would have paid for, and received, all tuition in the previous academic year.


If you are sitting a deferred first attempt at your courses, then there are also no re-entry fees due. However, if you have deferred a resit, you will have to pay the re-entry fees of £60 per full unit and £35 per half unit.


  4. Will I be entitled to tuition/supervision?

You will not be entitled to tuition or supervision for deferred exams or assessments (including your dissertation).


  5. Can I have access to the Library even if my student ID card has expired?

Yes, if your card is due to expire you will automatically be provided with a new card at the point the old one expires. For details, please see Student ID Cards.

 6. What syllabus will I be examined in when I come back to sit the deferred exam/s?

You will automatically be set the paper/s based on the syllabus in which you were taught. Therefore, if you deferred an exam from 2013/4 to 2014/5, you would sit the paper based on the 2013/4 syllabus.

 7. When will I be assessed if I defer an examination/s?

The School only has one examination session each year, in the Summer Term. You can only defer by one academic year at a time. Therefore, if you defer an exam in 2013, you must sit it in May/June 2014, or apply to the School for another deferral.


Please note that if you intend to defer your exams for a second year, you will need to complete another deferral form, and attach any supporting documentation - your original application to defer will not be sufficient.


 8. Can I sit my deferred exam/s overseas?

All exams must be sat at the School in London, except in very exceptional circumstances.

 9. How do I register for my deferred assessment/s?

You will automatically be re-entered for your deferred assessments by the Student Services Centre. You will be contacted shortly before the relevant examination period with confirmation that this has happened. 

  10. Can I defer part of a course, for instance, complete assessed course work and just defer the exam?

You can only apply to defer a whole course/s, not individual elements of assessment. However, if you have already submitted assessed course work, but are unable to sit the exam, your department will 'bank' the result for the course work and add it to your result for the exam upon your return the following academic year. If you are unsure about this, you should speak to your department directly.

 11. I have a student visa. If I defer, can I remain in the UK?

As the result of your deferral your visa status may change. The School is required to report to the UK Border Agency any changes in the registration status of Tier 4 students. This means that your Tier 4 visa may be amended or curtailed. Please visit the International Student Immigration Service webpages for more details and advice. If you require individual advice, please contact the International Student Immigration Service via the ISIS web query form.