How to contact us


Student Services Centre

Old Building, Ground Floor

Houghton Street



Tel: 020 7849 4994

Name changes

The School requires that your name on your student record must match your full legal name.  This will be your name exactly as it appears on the photographic identity document (usually your passport) which you used to register with us.   Ensuring that you are registered under your full name ensures that we and you comply with any immigration requirements that might apply.  It also means that we can verify degree awards more quickly and accurately when an employer (or other organisation) requests this information.  Your full name will appear on your transcript and degree certificate.  

The Registry is unable to add names to your official record that do not appear on the document you used to register.  The Registry is also unable to remove names that do appear on your registration document, but that you do not commonly use.  If you are not typically known by your legal name, we can record this separately and will ensure that you are addressed by your preferred name.  If this is the case, please visit the Student Services Centre or email from your LSE email account to ask for your “Known As” name to be updated. In this case, please note that your "Known As" name will be used in day-to-day communication and unofficial correspondence from LSE, but will not appear on official documents (unless it is part of your legal name as it appears on the document you used to register at LSE).  Similarly, you can specify the name by which you wish to be announced during your graduation ceremony if you wish.  

If you have changed your name by law e.g. you have married or legally changed your name by deed poll and you are still a current student and have not yet completed your programme of studies at the School, we will be happy to amend your student record. To request a change, please bring original legal documents proving your name change to the Student Services Centre during our opening hours.  These may include, for example, an updated passport, deed poll, or marriage certificate.  A member of staff will take a scanned copy of your documents for verification purposes and update your record for you. 

If you would also like your email address to be updated to match your updated name, then please visit the IT Helpdesk and let them know that a name change has recently been processed by the Student Services Centre.  Please note that the IT Helpdesk can only change your email address in cases when your legal name has changed.

ID cards must similarly match your student record.  If your name has changed significantly, then you will automatically be contacted by the ID cards team when a new card has been made available for collection. You will typically be contacted within 7-10 business days.  Please contact if you believe you are entitled to a new ID card, but are not automatically contacted within this period.


IMPORTANT: If you have changed your name by law after graduating from LSE, unfortunately we are unable to amend your student record retrospectively to reflect this change. The degree certificate is a legal document and we are unable to retrospectively amend it following graduation.