Complaint about a tutor

What you can do

A student who is dissatisfied must seek a remedy informally, as soon as possible, if an undergraduate through the Tutor, Departmental Tutor, Departmental Convener or Dean of Undergraduate Studies, or if a graduate student through their Supervisor, Research Student Tutor, Departmental Convener or Dean Graduate Studies, as appropriate.

Regulatory document

This procedure sets out the means by which a student who is dissatisfied with any aspect of the School's teaching, tutorial or supervisory provision or with other academic or related administrative matters may seek redress and correction of any deficiency.