How to submit a complaint about an academic issue

What you can do

A student who is dissatisfied should as soon as possible seek a remedy at the time informally, if an undergraduate through the Tutor, Departmental Tutor, Departmental Convener or Dean of Undergraduate Studies, or if a graduate student through their Supervisor, Research Student Tutor, Departmental Convener or Dean of the Graduate School, as appropriate.

Regulatory document

This procedure sets out the means by which a student who is dissatisfied with any aspect of the School's teaching, tutorial or supervisory provision or with other academic or related administrative matters may seek redress and correction of any deficiency.