Interruption allows students to take an authorised break in their studies, normally for one calendar year. For example, a student who interrupts during the Lent term would be expected to re-register for his/her programme at the beginning of the Lent term the following year.

Students who have received full tuition for the year may want to consider Deferring| their examinations.


If you are facing difficulties with your studies, whether for academic or personal reasons, there are a number of services in the School| that may be able to help. In particular, consider contacting the Teaching and Learning Centre| at| or 020 7852 3627 for guidance on learning development, writing, access to counselling and support for disability concerns. If you are having difficulties with studying in English contact the Language Centre| at| or 020 7955 6713.

You should discuss the options with your Academic Adviser or Supervisor before making the decision to interrupt your studies. Requests to interrupt studies will usually only be considered on the basis of medical or extenuating circumstances. If you are having health or personal problems that are causing you to miss classes then requesting an interruption at the earliest opportunity is often the best option. This enables you to take a break and then return the following year to properly benefit from teaching.

If you decide to interrupt in the middle of a term, you should discuss with your Academic Adviser or Supervisor whether you should continue that term to the end and interrupt from the beginning of the next term, or interrupt immediately and backdate the interruption to the beginning of that term. It is not possible to back date an interruption to a previous term of study so if you are experiencing difficulties it is important to discuss your options with your Academic Adviser as early as possible. You can also contact the Repeat Teaching Panel,|, for guidance.

You should note that the courses on offer within your programme may change during your period of interruption.

Submitting an Interruption Form

Students who wish to interrupt their studies should complete an Interruption of Registration| form.  Hard copies of the from are available from the Student Services Centre (SSC) in the document holder by the windows. The form should be completed and signed by the student, the student's Academic Adviser or Supervisor and the Departmental Tutor or Programme Director, then returned (by the student) to the SSC.

Please note that second interruptions are only approved in exceptional circumstances.  Any requests for second interruptions will be passed to the relevant Dean for consideration.


After the form is submitted to the Student Services Centre, you might be contacted by a member of staff to confirm and discuss your decision. Subsequently, the form will be submitted for processing. If your application is successful, you will be informed via your LSE email address in 3-5 working days. 

Repeat Teaching

If you wish to apply for repeat teaching from the beginning of the year, you should contact the Repeat Teaching Panel on|

MPhil and PhD Students 

MPhil / PhD research students should see the page Interrupting an MPhil/PhD programme for advice on interrupting their registration.  


You are not required to pay fees during an approved interruption period; if you  interrupt your studies from Lent Term or Summer Term, you will be charged fees for the term(s) you have completed.  When recommencing your studies after an approved interruption period, you will be charged the fees effective at the time.

Once you have interrupted your studies, you will not be eligible to apply for financial support from the School.  If your reason for interrupting your studies is financial difficulty, you may wish to contact the Financial Support Office| prior to interrupting to enquire whether you are eligible for financial support to enable you to continue your studies. 

Once you have interrupted your studies and re-registered in a subsequent academic session, you will not be eligible to apply or re-apply for pre-entry financial support schemes, such as the Graduate Support Scheme, the Undergraduate Support Scheme or other awards and scholarships. 

If you are an LSE or external scholarship holder, you should check the terms of your award before requesting an interruption, since there may be implications for your scholarship.  If you have been given funds by LSE for maintenance, you will be liable to repay these on a pro-rata basis. 

Library Access & Student Status During Interruption

While on an approved interruption of studies, students may have access-only to the Library and may keep their LSE email account. If you wish to borrow books from the Library during your interruption you should contact your academic department to get permission to do this. However, interrupting students may not stay in university accommodation and are not entitled to a Transport For London student-rate Oyster Card or council tax exemption. 

Interrupted students will not be able to select their courses on LSE for You prior to their return. Course selection should instead be emailed directly to| so that it can be entered manually. Students should note that this may take some time as Registry will have to manually obtain the necessary permissions, and so students should notify Registry as early as possible.

For further advice on interrupting a programme, please use the Registry web queries| form.