Part time work

Many students supplement their income with part-time work. 

The LSE Careers Service provides details to registered students about part-time work opportunities both within the LSE and more generally within London, via the LSECareerHub. The Students' Union also employs a small number of students. However, as demand for part-time work significantly outstrips the supply of job opportunities available through the School, you may also need to search independently for part-time work which fits in with your academic commitments.

You need to be realistic about the amount of money you can earn through part-time work since the School will be unable to provide financial support if you overestimate your income from employment. 

The minimum wage for people aged 18-20 is currently £4.98 per hour. The minimum wage for people aged 21 and over is currently £6.08.  

Guidance statement to students about working part-time

The School is aware that many students face varying degrees of financial pressures which make it necessary for them to undertake part-time work while studying full-time. The School is also of the view that students must devote enough time to the academic demands of their programme. They are expected to produce regular coursework and prepare for classes/seminars, as well as studying for examinations.

Each student is responsible for setting her/his own balance between part-time employment and academic coursework. Recent research suggests that an excessive amount of part-time work can have a detrimental effect on academic performance.

Therefore, the School recommends that full-time students work no more than 20 hours per week during term time, and, if at all possible, fewer than 15 hours. The School's examination boards will not normally consider as mitigating circumstances the negative impact that part-time work may have had on a student's performance in examinations or assessed coursework.

Overseas students

Working during your studies

Anyone studying at the LSE on a student visa is normally permitted to work up to 20 hours a week during the term and any number of hours during vacations. You should check the terms and conditions of your visa before undertaking paid work and review the ISIS advice for overseas students about working during your studies.

Working after your studies

The rules for international students regarding working after your studies can change.  ISIS offers up-to-date immigration advice on working after your studies.

National insurance and tax

The Directgov website offers useful information about paying tax when working while you study.  This information applies if you are a foreign student working in the UK.  Also visit the LSE Careers guidance on part-time work and the Students' Union website about tax and national insurance.

 Please note that LSE cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites.