Lloyds requirements

The information below contains details of the documentation required by one local branch of Lloyds Bank. However, requirements to open an account can vary between different branches of the same bank and document requirements change regularly.  Always contact the bank branch before booking or attending an appointment to confirm what you will need. 

Local branch details

Law Courts Branch
222 Strand
Tel: 08453 000 000

Website: www.lloydstsb.com
Directions, see Streetmap

If you live in Bankside House or Sidney Webb House you may wish to open an account at the London Bridge branch, which is located nearest you:

London Bridge Branch
69-73 Borough High Street
London Bridge

Top tips for opening a Lloyds account


  • An appointment is typically required to set up a new account.  Contact the branch directly either in person or by phone to schedule.
  • If you don't pre-book an appointment, it is recommended that you visit the bank first thing in the morning when they open, as this is the quietest time of the day and it can be easier to get an appointment.
  • If you are having difficulty booking a bank appointment at this local branch, you may consider visiting a different branch to set up your account -you can still do business with a local branch once your account is established.


Required documents

1.  Proof of student status  

  • Original offer letter    

  • A letter of introduction from LSE:  You may be eligible to request this letter before you register. The exception to this are Mphil/PhD students who are only eligible to request a letter after their designated registration date.  However, some branches of Lloyds may only accept a letter produced after you have registered. Check with the branch in advance to confirm their requirements. 

    You must be an unconditional offer holder or a registered student to request this letter.
     This document is not available to those with conditional offers.  

    To get this letter, first log into LSE for You and ensure your Contact and Home Addresses are up to date.  If you skip this step, your letter will be rejected by the bank.   Be careful to list the address you live during term-time (usually in London) as your Contact Address and your address at home (or international address) as the Permanent Address, or the bank will reject your documentation.

    Next, wait ONE HOUR after updating your addresses for the details to be updated in our database before requesting a letter of introduction.

    Lastly, visit the 
    Student Services Centre with your passport or student ID card to request the letter, which will be printed immediately for you. PhD/MPhil students should contact the Research Degrees Unit to request this document. Please note the opening hours.


  • LSE Certificate of Registration (Law Courts branch of Lloyds only!): You can only obtain this document after you have registered.

    First, log into LSE for You ONE HOUR after you have completed your Programme Registration and ensure that your contact and permanent addresses are up to date.   Be careful to list the address you live during term-time (usually in London) as your Contact Address and your address at home (or international address) as the Permanent Address, or the bank will reject your documentation.  Once this is done, select the 'Certification and Documentation' option in LSE for You and follow the directions provided to print your certificate. Then, bring the certificate to the Student Services Centre with your student ID card to have the certificate validated with an original LSE stamp and seal. PhD/MPhil students should instead visit the Research Degrees Unit to validate their certificate.  Please note the opening hours.

2.  Proof of identification

  • Passport or EU identity card
  • UK under 18 students may also use Birth Certificate and National Insurance Card

3.  Proof of UK and overseas (as applicable) address

  • You may use your offer letter, the LSE Certificate of Registration or a letter from LSE to prove your UK address (see number one above)
  • UK students may use alternative documents, such as a utility bill, council tax letter or tenancy agreement.


Please note that this information does not constitute a recommendation. 

Back to Setting up a bank account in the UK