How to contact us

International Student Visa Advice Team

Student Services Centre

London School of Economics and Political Science




Online Query Form


Follow us @LSE_ISVAT


Why not give us your feedback?

Working after your studies

16_0364 ISVAT Banner

When can I start working full-time at the end of my studies?

You can start working full-time once your official programme end date has passed.  Your official programme end date is the date that was provided on your CAS number not  the date you submit your dissertation.

PhD students who have extended their Tier 4 visa for either their viva or corrections are bound by the 20 working hours conditions until their new end date has passed.  If you are unsure if you are affected, come to a PhD Academy drop-in session for advice before accepting a full-time contract.

The Home Office considers the extra two or four months at the end of your visa to be vacation, so you can work full time during this period. However, the same conditions apply unless you are switching into a different immigration route e.g. Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) or Tier 2(General).

More information can be found on the UKCISA web site.

We cannot provide letters for employers confirming your ability to work full time at the end of your studies.  However, you may wish to refer them to our leaflet on employing LSE students:

Summary of the rules for employing LSE students [pdf]

What happens if I do not find employment before my visa expires?

There are some common misunderstandings about what happens when your visa expires:

My visa has expired but I know there is a grace period  to remain in the UK beyond this date. 

Your visa expires at midnight on the expiry date of your BRP/sticker.  Once this date has passed, you are an overstayer.  There is no grace period which allows you to remain in the UK without affecting your immigration history.  

  • You are able to make some applications in the UK as an overstayer (if permitted by the rules) but this is often at the discretion of the employer or university.  
  • LSE does not sponsor students to make Tier 4 applications once their visa has expired.
  • When your visa has expired, your period of overstay continues to build until you have left the UK  or have a successful visa application outcome.  You may have to declare this on future applications.  
  • You also lose all of your conditions of your visa, so are unable to continue working or access the NHS.

I'm a non-visa national, so I'm automatically enititled to be in the UK for 90 days after the expiry date of my visa as a Standard Visitor (tourist).

You can only access the right to be a Standard Visitor in the UK after the expiry of your Tier 4 visa if you travel out of the UK and re-enter on this permission.  You do not automatically become a tourist when your Tier 4 expires, you just become an overstayer.

A Border Force Officer will assess whether you are a "genuine visitor" when you re-enter.  We are aware of cases where LSE students have been denied entry to the UK when re-entering immediatley after the expiry of their Tier 4 e.g. they had an established relationship with a British national.  

Check our information on travelling during and after your studies for more information. 

Working visas at the end of your studies

Tier 2 (General)

Advice on applying for Tier 2

The information on this page is taken from the Tier 2 Policy Guidance. You can also find further information on the UKCISA web pages. 

ISVAT specialises in the student immigration rules. Whilst we can provide information on switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2, we are not trained to provide detailed advice on the Tier 2 immigration rules and completing the application forms. For detailed advice speak to your sponsoring employer or seek external advice at:

We are unable to advise on Tier 2 Sponsor Licence applications for your employers. Details on how to apply for a sponsor licence can be found on the UKVI web pages. 


To sponsor you for a Tier 2 (General) visa, your employer must

  • have a Tier 2 sponsor licence. See the Register of Tier 2 sponsors
  • offer you a 'graduate level' job, or a job on the Shortage Occupation list
  • offer a minimum salary of £20,800 per year or £25,000 for some applicants (this can be higher depending on your job title)
  • allocate a Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) to you. It is at the employer's discretion if they wish to allocate you a COS to sponsor you under Tier 2 (General).  Whilst they may be able to offer you a position, if it does not meet the requirements of Tier 2 (General), they may not be able to sponsor you for a visa.  

You can apply to switch to Tier 2 inside the UK if your current and unexpired visa is:

  • Tier 4 (General)
  • pre-Tier 4 Student Visa  
  • Tier 1 (Graduate Enterpreneur) 

Resident Labour Market Test Exemption

If you are switching from Tier 4/Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) to Tier 2 (General) in the UK, you will be exempt from the Resident Labour Market Test.  More information can be found on the UKCISA web pages, if your employer requires confirmation of this.

When to apply for Tier 2 (General)

If you want to switch from Tier 4 or a student visa: 

  • you must have "successfully completed" your undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme.  This means you have been informed that you have been awarded your degree, or
  • you must have completed a minimum of 12 months study towards a PhD programme.  Your Tier 2 sponsor will need to see evidence of this.  

Your employer may ask if it is possible for you to extend your student visa to give you more time in the UK before being sponsored.  Unless you are a PhD student applying under the Doctorate Extension Scheme (see above), you can only extend your student stay if you are continuing to study in the UK.

Points required to apply for Tier 2 (General):

You need 70 points to apply:

  • Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) - 30 points
  • Maintenance funds – 10 points
  • English language – 10 points
  • Salary – 20 points

Documents required from LSE

To switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2 inside the UK, you need to show evidence that you have completed and passed your programme.  When you apply you can show this by including:

  • your original degree certificate, academic transcript or
  • an academic reference confirming you have successfully completed your degree on LSE headed paper from the Registry

Only the Registry are able to confirm that you have been awarded your degree, so you should not request a reference from your department. The academic reference will confirm:

  • your name;
  • title of qualification;
  • date of award;
  • the body awarding the qualification;
  • the reason why you are unable to provide your original certificate of award
  • that the certificate will be issued.

If you want to apply for Tier 2 before you obtain your official degree certificate, you can request a letter by emailing If you request a letter from the Registry before your results have been ratified, they are unable to confirm that you have successfully completed and passed your degree.  Therefore, you do not meet the requirements to switch into Tier 2.

Students with full scholarships

If you were fully funded (tuition fees and living costs) for your studies in the UK by the UK government, your home government, the British Council or any international scholarship agency in the last 12 months you also need to submit a letter from the financial sponsor confirming you can remain in the UK to work.

Application forms

Application forms and the cost of applying can be found on the UKVI web pages.

Applying for Tier 2 from outside the UK

If you want to benefit from the concessions of being a student, you must apply for Tier 2 from inside the UK before you current visa expires.   

If you can only apply from outside the UK,  your employer will have to pass the Resident Labour Market Test and they will have to use a 'restricted' COS to sponsor you. 

Tier 4 (Doctorate Extension Scheme) - LSE Endorsed

Students studying for a PhD at LSE with Tier 4 (General)  visas are eligible to apply for permission to work for 12 months at the end of their studies.  

As the scheme is under Tier 4, you will have to apply for the additional 12 months before you complete your studies at LSE. This will be your award date, so the latest date you can apply will be the day before you are awarded your PhD. 

Please note that not all requests to take part in the scheme may be granted depending on your future employment plans. You can only apply for this visa from within the UK from a valid Tier 4 visa.

When to apply:

  • after you complete your viva with no corrections and before you receive confirmation of your award in writing, or
  • after your corrections have been submitted and before you receive confirmation of your award in writing.

How to apply:

  • inform the PhD Academy at the point you submit your thesis that you are interested in applying for the scheme.  
  • attend one of our PhD Academy drop-in sessions for advice on applying for the Doctorate Extension Scheme. Registry will not issue your CAS until you have spoken to us.
  • request a CAS from LSE confirming that you wish to seek or take work in the 12 months after the end of your studies: in requesting a CAS you are confirming that you agree to the conditions of the visa which includes maintaining contact with the PhD Academy during the 12 months;
  • attend an appointment with ISVAT to check your application - you only have one chance at this visa so if it is refused correctly, you will lose the opportunity to apply again.
  • you will be required to formally keep in touch with the School during this period
  • you will need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge for you and any dependants who are applying with you - speak to us for advice on how to pay this
  • you will need to provide evidence of funds (£2,530 = 2 months maintenance funds)

Conditions of the scheme:

  • you will be able to take any kind of work including self employment (except work as a doctor or dentist or training or as a professional sports coach or sportsperson) 
  • you will be permitted to work full time from the date you complete your programme at LSE
  • you can do supplementary study

More information can be found on the UKCISA web site.

Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) - LSE Endorsed

LSE is able to endorse around 20 students each year. Our scheme is externally recognised as being run successfully and we are proud of the opportunities that we can bring.

For more information on the scheme read the UKCISA web pages. 

You can read the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Policy Guidance on the UK Visas and Immigration website:

UK Visas and Immigration

How do I apply for the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) scheme?

You can only be endorsed by competing in the LSE Entrepreneur of the Year, LSE Social Entrepreneur of the Year competition or Seed Funding competition. For details go to the Careers Website:

Generate at LSE

In exceptional circumstances, it may be possible to endorse students who were unable to compete in these competitions.  However, you must still have a genuine and credible business plan, which has been approved by LSE Careers.  Requests for endorsement because you have been unable to find an alternative immigration route to apply for, are highly unlikely to be successful.

We regret that we can only endorse non-LSE students who are in business with LSE students.

Once you are selected by the LSE panel and have been informed that you have been awarded your degree, request an endorsement letter from the Registry. This will confirm that you and your business idea have been assessed by LSE.  If you have dependants with you that wish to remain in the UK, you will need to inform the Registry as this information must go on your endorsement letter.

Are there any types of businesses that will not be endorsed?

We have endorsed a variety of businesses from social media applications, to tourism and social enterprises.  The only type of business prohibited under the scheme is property development or property management.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible to apply for the visa in the UK you need to meet the following requirements:

  • You must hold a Tier 4 (General) Student visa/student visa or be working in a postdoctoral role on a Tier 2 (General) visa;
  • You must successfully have been awarded your degree programme at LSE (PG Certificate or Diplomas are not eligible);
  • You must not have been granted immigration permission previously under the Tier 1 (Post-Study Work), IGS, Fresh Talent or SEGS schemes.
  • You must have held £945 in your bank account for a consecutive 90 day period
  • if you have been wholly sponsored (full tuition fees and living costs) by a government or an international scholarship agency in the last 12 months, evidence that you have their unconditional consent to remain in the UK to set up your business.

You can apply for the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) route from outside the UK.  In this case:

  • Your immigration status during your study is not relevant;
  • You must have held £1890 in your bank account for a consecutive 90 day period 

You will have to complete an application form, which we can assist with.

Applying in the UK: Form  Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
Applying outside the UK: Online application form 

It is not possible to apply in person for the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa. 

When can I start working on my buisness?

You cannot start your business until you have submitted an application for Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur.  You can attend events organised by LSE Careers, you can seek funding and make plans for your business, but you cannot actually start your business or use funding while you hold your Tier 4 visa.

Can I employ Tier 4 students to work on my business?

Tier 4 students must not be self-employed, including being listed as company directors. If you have any Tier 4 students working with you on your business, they must be employees of the company.

If you intend to employ staff to assist with your business, you will need to ensure you are making the correct employment checks to ensure you are not breaching the immigration rules.

Can I extend my Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa

It may be possible for you to extend your Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa for a second year, depending on the success of your business.  It is important that if you are considering this as an option,  you contact us well in advance of your visa expiring for advice on extending.  This is an extension of your previous visa based on the business you were developing.  It is unlikely that we will be able to extend your visa for a new business plan.

Tier 5 (Youth Mobility)

The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility) visa is only available to nationals from the following countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan
  • British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens, British Nationals Overseas

The Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa allows you to work in the UK for up to two years without a sponsor.  You cannot switch into this visa from Tier 4. You can only apply for this visa outside the UK. At the end of the two years, you will need to apply for any new immigration permission from outside the UK.

Study is permitted on this visa, but your main intention should be to use it for work.

You can find further details on the following web pages:


Home Office

Tier 5 (Temporary Worker)

There are five schemes under the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) route:

  • Creative and Sporting;
  • Charity Workers;
  • Religious Workers;
  • Government Authorised Exchange;
  • International Agreement

These schemes allow you to undertake specific types of work from one to two years, depending on the scheme.  Most schemes only permit entry clearance applications, In certain circumstances, you may be able to switch to the Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) in the UK.

Full details of all the schemes and when you can apply in the UK can be found on the UKCISA web pages.

UK Ancestry Visa

The Ancestry visa enables the following groups to take employment or set up a business in the UK:

  • You are a Commonwealth Citizen;
  • You are aged over 17; and
  • You can prove you have a grandparent who was born in the UK/the Channel Islands/the Isle of Man/ on a British registered ship or aircraft/ the Republic of Ireland (before 31 March 1922).

The Ancestry visa is valid for five years and you must intend to seek employment.  It can lead to settlement after five years.  Further details can be found on the UKVI web pages.