How to contact us

International Student Visa Advice Team

Student Services Centre

London School of Economics and Political Science




Online Query Form


Follow us @LSE_ISVAT


Why not give us your feedback?

Re-taking Assessments

16_0364 ISVAT Banner

Students with re-take exams in Lent Term Week 0

If you are expected to return for Lent Term Week 0 exams in 2018, your immigration options will depend on:

  • whether you currently have a Tier 4 visa for a 12 month Masters degree; or
  • whether you were reported to the UKVI and sponsorship was withdrawn; or
  • whether your previous Tier 4 visa has expired.

If you are a 12 month Masters student who has been notified of Lent Term Week 0 re-takes when receiving your results in November 2017, please contact us for advice.

If you were reported to the UKVI and sponsorship of your Tier 4 visa has been withdrawn or your previous Tier 4 visa has expired, you will only be able to return for Lent Term Week 0 exams on a Short-term Student visa.  We will not sponsor you under Tier 4 for this assessment period.

Students with re-take assessments in the main examination period

ISVAT will contact you in the Lent Term to give you your options based on the immigration rules at the time.

Depending on your circumstances you can choose to return either on a Tier 4 (General) visa or a Short-term Study visa. You can find out more about the two visas in the table below:


Tier 4 Student                            

Short Term Student

How much time will I get to study in the UK?

If the course is less than six months the visa will be granted for the length of the programme plus one week.

If the course is longer than six months but less than 12, you will granted for the length of the programme plus two months.

Please note - LSE students returning to re-take exams will obtain a CAS that lists the exam period only.  This means that you are likely to be granted just one additional week after the end of the exam period.

Visa will be granted for a maximum of 6 months (this is the standard period regardless of how long you intend to remain in the UK)

Do I need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from LSE? 


You need a Short Term Student visa letter.

Do I need to take an English test?

If you are continuing on your programme, LSE will confirm your English language ability.



Do I need a letter from LSE to show I am already a LSE student who is expected to return for further study?



Can I get this kind of immigration permission at the airport?

No. You must apply at the embassy or the visa application centre in your home country or the country where you are living.

Yes, but only if you are a 'non-visa national'.  You can check the list of 'visa nationals' on the UK Visas and Immigration website. If your country is on the list, you cannot apply at the airport and you must apply at the embassy or the visa application centre

UK Visas and Immigration

Can I travel in and out of the UK?

Yes. The visa does not 'lapse' when you leave the UK. 

If you have applied at the embassy, and the visa says 'multi' on it, it does not 'lapse' and you can come in and out of the UK several times.

If you apply at the airport you are granted 'single entry'. This means that you have to apply again each time you arrive at the airport (and need to show the correct documentation each time).

Can I extend my time in the UK?

Yes. You can apply to stay in the UK as a student if you are continuing on your programme or you decide to study for longer in the UK.   Please note, there must be no longer than 28 days from the end of your visa and the start date of your new programme.

You can also extend if you are eligible to switch into a work category

No.  You must leave the UK within six months. You are only able to spend a maximum of six months in the UK as a visitor in any 12 month period. 

 Can I work?

Yes, you can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term-time (or 10 hours if you are studying below degree level). From the official end date of your programme you will be able to work full-time until your visa ends. 

No. You cannot work paid or unpaid. 

Can I switch into Tier 2 / Tier 5 in the UK?

Yes, if you meet the requirements.

No, you cannot switch into another visa category from the Short Term Student visa.

Can I use the National Health Service?

Yes, if your course is longer than six months. If it is less than six months you would need to have medical insurance. 

No, you would need to have medical health insurance

Can I bring dependants?

Yes, but only if your programme is:
12 months or longer and you are studying at postgraduate level or
6 months or longer and you have a full government scholarship

No, your family will need to enter as General visitors/ Visa Standard from 24 April 2015.

Where can I get more information about how to apply?

How to apply for Tier 4 

How to make a Short-term Student Application

Please compare both visa types to check which one suits your needs.   If you are intending to switch into Tier 2 after your assessments have finished or undertake an internship, this is not possible on a Short-term Study visa.

You should plan to apply for your visa as soon as possible to ensure you can return in time for your assessments.  The Registry place a block on all personal timetables for international students who require immigration permission to re-take their assessments.  This block will not be removed until you have shown that you have permission to study in the UK, so it is important to check this information.

If you need to apply for a new Tier 4 (General) Student visa, you will need to request a CAS number from Registry before applying for your visa. You can submit your request through the online request form.  

Alternatively,  if you choose to return as a Short-term Student, you will need to request a letter from Registry.  You can request this letter through the web form:

Request a short-term student letter

Re-taking assessments on a Standard Visitor (tourist) visa

If you hold a long-term Standard Visitor Visa (more than six months), the UKVI now allow you to undertake a period of study of up to a maximum of 30 days on this visa.  This concession does not include the six-month Standard Visitor visa.  

Students who are required to attend to re-submit their dissertation will not be able to use a long-term visitor visa because the period of study will be more than 30 days.

Students who arrive on a six-month Standard Visitor visa will not be permitted to use this visa for their re-take assessments. Therefore, you should plan to apply for either the Tier 4 visa or the Short-Term student visa to avoid being advised you cannot take your assessment.

Can I stay in the UK?

Undergraduate Students

If you are an undergraduate student and you will not be registered during the academic year 2017/18, you are advised to leave the UK and apply to return from your home country.  Depending on which year you are required to re-take examinations for, the Registry will provide you with a CAS which includes the assessment period and future academic years.  If you are unable to progress into the next year of teaching, LSE will withdraw sponsorship of your Tier 4 visa.

If you have been granted repeat teaching for 2017/8 you will be able to remain in the UK as you will continue to be registered on your full time course at LSE. 

If you would like to request repeat teaching for part or all of your course, you must do so by contacting the Repeat Teaching Panel. For more information go to:

Repeat Teaching Panel

The Repeat Teaching Panel will not consider requests solely for students to remain in the UK.  Repeat teaching is only granted if it is required academically. 

If you are granted repeat teaching and your visa will expire before the new end date of your programme, you will need to apply to extend your Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.

Postgraduate Students

If you have to retake exams in 2018, you have to leave the UK and return to take exams. If you are also required to re-take your dissertation or you are continuing on your programme (for example if you are on a two year Master's), you can remain in the UK until the end of your programme. Students with further teaching to undertake will be registered in the new academic year.

It is very unusual for students at postgraduate level to obtain repeat teaching. However if you think that your circumstances are exceptional, you can apply to the Repeat Teaching Panel.  You can contact the Panel by e-mail.

If your repeat teaching takes place in the Lent Term, you will be unable to remain in the UK to extend your visa because you have not received any teaching during Michaelmas Term.  The Registry will report your change of circumstances to the Home Office and you will need to return home to apply for your new Tier 4 visa.

The Repeat Teaching Panel will not consider requests solely for students to remain in the UK.  Repeat teaching is only granted if it is required academically.

Please note that you cannot remain in the UK if you have an informal agreement to attend classes or meet with your tutor - you must be registered on your programme.

What happens if I stay in the UK while not attending my course?

If you remain in the UK and are an unregistered student, your Tier 4 visa application could be refused.  

If you have a Tier 4 (General) Student visa and you obtained this using a CAS, LSE must report to the Home Office that you will not be continuing on your programme. Registry will email you to inform you that they are reporting your change of circumstances to the Home Office . When this happens, the Home Office will send you a letter or email to cancel your Tier 4 visa.

We advise you to leave the UK as early as you can after you are informed that you will have retake exams. 

If you have a non-student immigration status (for example, dependant or Tier 2 ) you can remain in the UK while not attending your course as long as you continue to meet the requirements of your permission.