Re-taking Exams

Advice for Students returning to LSE to re-take exams in 2014

IMPORTANT: This information is for students re-taking assessments in the 2013 - 2014 academic year.  Please check our updated advice in January 2015 if you are due to return next year for re-takes.

You will be permitted to return to the UK from 5 April 2014. Depending on your circumstances you can choose to return either on a Tier 4 (General) visa or a Student Visitor visa. You can find out more about the two visas on our web page:

Tier 4 (General) or Student Visitor?|

If you need to apply for a new Tier 4 (General) Student visa, you will need to request a CAS number from Registry before applying for your visa. You can submit your request through the online request form.|  The CAS is an electronic number and will be e-mailed to you. You can apply outside the UK up to three months before the 'sponsor start date' on your CAS and you can enter the UK up to one week before this date. 

Alternatively,  if you choose to return as a Student Visitor, which allows you to return to the UK for six months, you will need to request a letter from Registry.  You can request this letter through the web form:

Request a Student Visitor Visa Letter|

Can I stay in the UK?

Undergraduate Students

If you are studying on an undergraduate programme and you will not be attending during the academic year 2013/14, you are advised to leave the UK and apply to return in 2014 to take your exams. 

If the Repeat Teaching Panel has formally agreed for you to repeat the year or repeat part of your programme, you will be able to remain in the UK as you will continue to be registered on your full time course at LSE. 

If you would like to request repeat teaching for part or all of your course, you must do so by contacting the Repeat Teaching Panel. Please note that the panel will not agree to grant repeat teaching purely on the basis of your immigration status and there must be good academic reasons to allow this.

For more information go to:

Repeat Teaching Panel|

If you are granted repeat teaching and you need more time in the UK, you will need to apply to extend your Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. For more information go to:

Immigration Advice for Current Students|

Postgraduate Students

If you have to retake exams in 2014 you have to leave the UK and return to take exams in May / June.  If you then have to submit your dissertation or you are continuing on your programme (for example if you are on a two year Master's), you can remain in the UK until the end of your programme because you will continue to be registered at LSE. If your visa expires before the end of your programme, please contact ISIS for advice.

Postgraduate Students and repeat teaching

It is very unusual for students at postgraduate level to obtain repeat teaching. However if you think that your circumstances are exceptional, you can apply to the Repeat Teaching Panel. For information, you can contact the Panel by e-mail|.

Please note that you cannot remain in the UK if you have an informal agreement to attend classes or meet with your tutor - you must be registered on your programme.

What happens if I stay in the UK while not attending my course?

If you have student immigration permission or a Tier 4 visa and you applied for this before CASs (Confirmation of Acceptance For Studies) were introduced (February 2010), your visa will not be cancelled. However, if you remain in the UK while you are not attending your programme, when you need to apply in the future to the Home Office for more time to complete your programme your application could be refused.  In addition, any time spent in the UK with your student visa will count towards the five year cap (this is the limit set on the time that you can spend in the UK studying at degree level).

If you have a Tier 4 (General) Student visa and you obtained this using a CAS, LSE must report to the Home Office that you will not be continuing on your programme. Registry will email you to inform you that they are reporting your change of circumstances to the Home Office . When this happens, the Home Office will send you a letter or email to cancel your Tier 4 visa.

We advise you to leave the UK as early as you can after you are informed that you will have retake exams. It may be helpful for future immigration applications to have evidence of when you left the UK so we advise you to keep a record of this.

If you have a non-student immigration status (for example, dependant or Tier 1 Post Study Work) you can remain in the UK while not attending your course as long as you continue to meet the requirements of your permission.

Will I need to apply for a new visa before I return to the UK to take resit exams?

If you need a Tier 4 visa, you will have to apply for new immigration permission to return to the UK (even if the expiry date of your visa has not passed). This is because LSE will have reported that you are taking resit exams and your visa will have been cancelled.  If you have not informed the Home Office that you are no longer living in the UK, the letter informing you that your visa has been cancelled will have been sent to a UK address. If you have had a break in your studies, assume that your visa has been cancelled. 

When can I return to the UK?

You will be permitted to return to the UK from 5 April  2014 before your exams.  If you apply for a Tier 4 visa to return, you will be able to enter the UK one week before this and you will be granted one week extra after the end date on your CAS.  If you apply for a Student Visitor visa, you will be able to return from this date but you will be given permission for six months.