Registering with the police

Police Registration - Autumn 2014

Who registers?

Students of some nationalities must register with the police when they arrive in the UK with a visa for more than six months, and/or if they extend their visa for more than six months. 

Police Registration in London is administered by the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) near London Bridge/Borough tube stations.

After you register, you need to keep your registration certificate updated if you get a new visa or if you change address.

You only have to register if your visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit says you must. You can check the list of nationalities who need to register at:

UK website|

If you are not from one of these countries, but your visa states that you need to register, please seek advice from ISIS.  Otherwise, you can ignore the rest of this information.


Is there any other way I can delay my Police Registration?

 No the option to delay registration is now closed.  If you have not submitted your supporting documents you must attend OVRO in person.

Previously registered? 

If you have been away from the UK for more than 12 months, you will need to register again and obtain a new certificate. Follow the instructions below.

Otherwise, if you already have a police registration certificate and you have a new visa for LSE, you just need to go to the OVRO and get your certificate updated. Scroll down to "Where do I go?"

If you only need to change your address, you don't need to go to the OVRO. Scroll down to 'What happens if I change address?' 

Where can I find information from the Police on the process?

You can find more information about the process at:

Metropolitan Police - Overseas Visitors Records Office|

When to register

Every time you obtain a new Tier 4 (General) student visa you must register with the police at the Overseas Visitors Records Office. This means if you obtain a new Tier 4 (General) visa overseas and enter the UK, you must report to the police within seven days of arriving.  If you apply for a new visa inside the UK, you must report to the police at the Overseas Visitors Records Office within seven days of receiving your BRP card.

What documents do I take to register?

  • your passport
  • registration fee of £34 (you can pay by cash, credit or debit card (no cheques)
  • two passport size photographs
  • copy of the ID page of your passport
  • copy of your student visa (the sticker in your passport or your BRP)
  • BRP (Biometric residence permit -  if you have one)
  • any Home Office letters that you have

If you are registering for the first time, you must also take a completed form:

Take a small bag - this will make it faster to go through the security checks. Don't take any sharp objects (for example scissors) as these will be taken from you (and it is illegal to carry knives in the UK).

How to register

You attend the Overseas Records Office in London to obtain a Police Registration Certificate. You will need this any time you apply to the Home Office to extend your stay in the UK. You must keep this certificate up to date with any changes.  (When you apply to extend your stay in the UK, you must list all your UK addresses on the application and these must also be listed on your police registration certificate)

It is a criminal offence not to register with the police if you are required to.

For full details go to:

Metropolitan Police - Overseas Visitors Records Office  |  







Where do I go?

You only need to attend the OVRO if you are new to the UK or have obtained a new visa: 

Southwark Police Station, 323 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JL. 

Check the opening times on the Metropolitan Police website in Sept/Oct.  Opening times can change during this period.

The nearest tube station is Borough (on the Northern line).

download a map|  

If you just need to update your address, you can do this at any local police station.  Click on the link to the Metropolitan police website and search for your local police station.  





What happens if I change address after I register?

You must inform the police if you change address.  If you live in LSE halls and you change rooms, you don't need to get this updated.  You can do this at any local police station. You can find your local police station at the Met Police website  | (you need to know the name of the borough or postcode that you live in).

Do I need to inform the police if I obtain a new visa?

Yes.  If you extend your stay in the UK or you apply again from outside the UK and re-enter with new immigration permission, you must get this updated on your police certificate, and you must do this within 7 days of receiving the new visa or returning to the UK.  You can only do this at the Overseas Visitors Records Office in Borough.  You don't need to inform the police every time you travel, only if you obtain new immigration permission.

What happens if I do not register with the police?

It is a criminal offence not to register with the police if it is a requirement of your student visa.  You could be arrested, prosecuted and fined up to £5,000 or even imprisoned.  It could also lead to you being refused a visa in the future.  When you register at LSE, you agree to abide by the conditions of your student visa and this includes police registration.  It is your responsibility to ensure that you register in time and to keep your record up to date.

Returning to LSE for resit exams

If you return to the UK with a new Tier 4 (General) Student visa to take exams, you must register again with the police if your visa is for more than six months.

If you return to the UK as a Student Visitor, you do not need to register with the police.

Useful links

Please note LSE cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites.