These rules apply only to staff which are undertaking programmes prior to the 2009/2010 session.
The rules for the 2009/10 session are available on the main remission of fees page.
This statement sets out the procedures whereby staff of the School may claim remission of fees in respect of degree and diploma programmes taken at the School.
1. Full-time staff permitted to follow such programmes shall be remitted 95% of the relevant tuition fees and/or doctoral examination fees and thus shall be required to pay 5% of the fees normally chargeable, except that:
1.1. Remission will not be granted to staff who enter into contracts of employment or service when already registered as a student.
1.2 Remission will not be granted to any person whose contract of employment or service with the School has not been in effect for at least six months before the programme begins.
2. Part-time staff whose contracts are the same as for full-time staff except in so far as they work a fraction of the time normally required by full-time staff shall have a similar entitlement to remission as set out in paragraph 1, except that the remission shall be pro-rated according to the fraction of hours that they work. (For example, someone who is 0.5 FTE will be remitted 47.5% and be required to pay 52.5% of the fees normally chargeable.)
3. Hourly-paid staff who are permitted to follow such programmes shall qualify for remission of fees as set out in paragraphs 1 and 2 on the basis of actual hours worked.
4. Staff will be required to pay any other fees and charges normally and properly levied including re-sit fees and charges and fees made in connection with fieldwork.
5. Remission will be granted for each academic year as approved, and will be subject to application. Where contracts of employment are fixed-term, remission will be granted on a termly basis for each term which finishes before the end of the employment contract - but members of staff may re-apply for remission if their fixed-term contract is subsequently extended.
6. The Human Resources Director shall be responsible for interpreting these procedures and for granting remission under them. Where an application is refused s/he will give the applicant a copy of these regulations and a written statement of the reason for refusal. The Director or a Pro-Director shall determine disputes arising from the application of these procedures.
Staff who wish to apply for remission of fees should email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form.