How to contact us

Health and Safety Team
Governance, Legal & Policy Division
Room 1KW.3
London School of Economics
Houghton Street


Latest information


The School is no longer using Complywise. Staff should contact their Health and Safety Coordinators for information on the alternatives in place.

Facilities for pregnant and nursing mothers

The room set aside for new and expectant mothers is located in Tower 3. This is where expectant mothers can come to rest, and where women who are still breast-feeding when they return to work or study can express and store milk. This facility is available for both staff and students to use.  Anyone wanting to use the room should report to Tower 1&2 Reception.

Protect yourself from seasonal infections

Flu and other infections such as norovirus are particularly common in the winter. Simply remembering to wash your hands thoroughly with soapy water throughout the day (especially after travelling on public transport, before eating or drinking, before smoking, and after using the toilet) goes a long way to protect you and those around you from these illnesses.

We have issued some guidance on how to prevent yourself becoming infected by the norovirus, and what to do if you become ill.

Are your inoculations up to date?

Public Health England encourages all students to make sure that their inoculations are up to date, and that they are fully vaccinated against measles, mumps, rubella and Group C meningococcal (meningitis C) infection. These diseases are highly infectious, so can spread quickly. If you are not sure, contact your doctor.  If you have not yet registered with a doctor now is the time to do so, don't wait until you are ill!  Information on the health service in the UK and finding a GP is available on the student webpage under Health information.

Public Health England have issued guidance for students on immunisations against measles, mumps, rubella and Meningitis.  

More information on meningitis can be found on the Meningitis Trust website.

'Students will you wake up!'

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) runs a campaign aimed at students living in private rented accommodation to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide fumes from faulty gas appliances.

If you live in private rented accommodation check that your landlord has had the gas appliances inspected, and ask to see a copy of the annual gas safety inspection record.

Electrical Safety for Students

The Electrical Safety Council has produced some guidance for students on electrical safety, particularly if you are in private rented accommodation. In Halls of Residence, follow the local electrical safety rules.

Fire Safety in Your Home

Most fires start accidentally in the home, often because cooking is left unattended, or due to electrical items. The London Fire Brigade has published advice on Fire Safety at Home. If you are in a Hall of Residence, follow the fire safety rules there: they are there to protect you and everyone else in the Hall.

Health and safety training opportunities

See the training and development portal for courses. If you can't find what you are looking for, email

Major Incident Response Plan

The School's procedure for responding to major emergencies has been revised and updated.  It is called the LSE Major Incident Initial Response Plan (MIIRP), and is available here.

For further information contact Veronique Mizgailo (