The ELG will advise the Pro-Director (Resources and Planning) on;
1. To meet termly.
2. To review and revise the School’s Environmental Sustainability Policy.
3. To have an overview of School decisions and comment on the positive or negative environmental impacts of these, and to ensure that School actions are assessed against the Environmental Sustainability Policy.
4. To ensure the Environmental Management System (EMS) is established, implemented, maintained and to monitor its performance.
5. To ensure continual improvement in environmental performance and the delivery of the Environmental Sustainability Policy.
6. To guide overall sustainability strategy across the School.
7. To review and revise the objectives, targets and the other elements of the EMS.
8. To ensure the Environmental Management Team and Environmental Management Working Groups develop the EMS with the Sustainability Team to include:
The identification of environmental aspects and impacts of School activities.
The prioritisation and timely delivery of environmental aims and objectives by responsible persons.
The setting of targets, use of indicators and the annual review of activities.
9. To receive reports from the Environmental Management Team and ensure continuous progress on delivery of the LSE Environmental Sustainability Policy.
10. To be responsible for ensuring that the School complies with, and where possible exceeds, all applicable environmental legislation, guidelines and any other relevant requirements.
11. To review the EMS at planned intervals, to ensure its continuing suitability, adequacy and effectiveness. Reviews shall include:
Results of internal audits and evaluations of compliance with legal requirements and with other requirements to which the School subscribes.
Communications from external interested parties, including complaints.
The School’s environmental performance, and the extent to which objectives and targets have been met.
Status of corrective and preventive actions.
Changing circumstances, including developments in legal and other requirements related to its environmental aspects.
Assess and recommend opportunities for improvement and the need for changes to the EMS, including the Environmental Sustainability Policy and environmental objectives and targets.
Follow-up actions from previous management reviews.
12. To secure the resources required to maintain the EMS.
13. To identify and encourage areas of collaboration between the academic and support communities and ensure effective communication on environmental issues affecting the School.
14. To utilise the academic expertise within the School to ensure that the group makes decisions in an informed way.
15. To develop a communications strategy to promote progress, share best practice and tackle challenges across the LSE community.
16. To invite external experts as deemed appropriate.
LSE environmental leadership
17. To identify the various environmental initiatives, awards and prizes on offer and decide which ones to join.
18. To enable the School to provide leadership for other institutions in the sector, particularly in London.
Membership of the Environmental Leadership Group
Chair: Pro-Director (Resources and Planning)
Chief Financial Officer
Director of Estates
Director of Facilities Management
Director of Residential Services
Head of Communications
Academic Board representative
Students’ Union Environment & Ethics Officer
Students’ Union Community Welfare Officer
Sustainable Futures Chair
Head of Environmental Sustainability
In addition, up to three members of Sustainable Futures may attend ELG meetings