Insurance at LSE

Insurance is a risk mitigation tool. The School transfers its risk to an insurance company in exchange for a premium so that when the School incurs a loss from an insured risk, the insurance company assumes all or part of that loss.

For all insurance claims contact Kristy Rottenberry|. For general insurance enquiries contact Ashley Wang|.

Coordination of Insurance Related Activites

The School purchases insurance to provide coverage for a wide range of activities and properties as well as to provide travel insurance for our employees. Failure to provide adequate coverage could place us in the position of paying high replacement costs for damaged or destroyed property or bearing the total cost of  expensive litigation related to our teaching, research and business activities. The Finance Division centrally coordinates insurance programmes in order to ensure that the School is getting the best value for its premuims, that coverage is not duplicated and that the various policies do not conflict with one another. This applies to all School departments and subsidiary companies and covers all types of insurance, including but not limited to, property, general liability, terrorism, professional liability and plant liability.

All School departments and subsidiary companies shall coordinate all insurance-related activities with the Finance Division (Financial Control section). Insurance activities mean contact with insurance companies, agents, brokers, or consultants. The types of transactions include:

  • Purchasing insurance
  • Negotiation for the purchase of insurance with agents or brokers
  • Obtaining professional services from insurance companies, brokers, agents and consultants.

Property Insurance

Insurers insist that all claims are subject to £2,000 policy excess and there must be signs of forced/violent entry to the room or premises.

Doors must always be locked when rooms are left unattended. The School may not have sufficient funds to automatically replace equipment stolen as a result of carelessness or oversight.

Public Liability Insurance

This insurance covers any claims of damages brought by a member of the public because of an injury or damage to their property on School premises.

Our Public Liability and Employer's Liability certificate is available below

Public Liability|
Employer's Liability|

Business Interruption

This insurance covers the loss of income or additional expenditures that the School suffers after a disaster while its facility is being rebuilt.

Employers' Liability

This insurance covers any claims brought by a member of staff of the School.


Terrorism insurance is insurance purchased to cover the School's potential losses and liabilities that might occur due to terrorist activities.

Professional Indemnity

This insurance covers liability at law to third parties for damages and claimant's cost and expenses for a breach of professional duty arising by reason of:
a) any act of neglect, error or omission
b) breach of warranty of authority
c) breach of Intellectual Property Rights
d) infringement of copyright or patent right or trademark or design rights
e) breach of confidential information under Data Protection Legislation

PhD examining

External examiners working for LSE will be covered by the School's Professional Indemnity policy. Similarly, LSE staff working for the University of London will be covered by the University of London insurance policies. LSE staff carrying out examining duties for other universities need to check that the other university appointing them have adequate insurance cover as the School's policy is unable to cover work performed on behalf of other Institutions.

Engineering Inspection and Insurance

Inspection services are provided in respect of the boilers, lifts and other equipments, at intervals in accordance with statutory requirements, plus routine examinations.

Personal Accident and travel insurance

This section provides details of the School's Travel Insurance policy for staff travelling abroad on "School business", on which the School is paying the full premium. The full list of items insured is given below.

School business

  1. "School business" in this context is defined as travel in connection with:
  • Research Grants or Contracts, or research funded wholly or partly from School funds;
  • attendance at conferences funded wholly or partly from School funds;
  • student recruitment;
  • official School representation.
  1. It does not include travel by staff on sabbatical or special leave, holiday travel, or travel for private lecturing or for private consultancy work.
  2. Insurers take a common sense approach to incidental sightseeing. If the main purpose of the trip is "School business" then incidental sightseeing will also be covered.

Policy cover

  1. Medical Expenses
  2. Personal Luggage
  3. Money
  4. Cancellation, Curtailment and Rearrangement
  5. Hijack
  6. Passport Indemnity
  7. Legal Expenses
  8. Business Equipment/Computers
  • There is cover for School equipment up to £1000 with a policy excess of £100.
  • The policy will only pay up if there are signs of forced/violent entry to room/premises.
  • No claim will be met for theft from any vehicle not individually attended unless:
  1. all doors, windows and other openings are left closed, securely locked and properly fastened;
  2. the property is at the time in the locked boot of the vehicle or in the case of a hatchback or estate vehicle concealed beneath a parcel shelf or otherwise concealed from view;
  3. entry or access to the vehicle has been affected by forcible and violent means.


  1. As stated in 1 above, this policy does not include any cover for staff travelling on holiday, sabbatical or special leave, or for private lecturing or private consultancy work.
  2. The Cancellation, Curtailment cover will cover the cost of unused tickets purchased for travel on School business in the event of illness, accident etc. However, any tickets, reservations etc. booked by staff for their own personal travel, should be insured separately as the policy will not cover them under any circumstances (including accident or illness sustained during earlier travel on "School business").
  3. Insurers have suggested that where an external sponsor pays for a private lecturing trip and the costs do not go through the School's accounting records (and is therefore not covered by the School's Travel Insurance Policy) then a separate travel insurance policy should be arranged at the same time as the air fare is arranged and that the external sponsor should pay both the air fare and the travel insurance.
  4. The policy excludes persons over 75 years of age. Any member of staff over 75 years of age travelling on School Business should contact Ashley Wang, Room AH300 (Extn.5041) so that separate insurance arrangements can be made.
  5. Insurers require that a Health Questionnaire be completed for all persons undertaking trips of more than 12 months duration.
  6. The policy excludes pregnant women where expected date of birth is within one month of the date of travel.
  7. It is not possible to arrange in the UK car insurance relating to vehicles registered and used abroad. In such circumstances adequate insurance cover always needs to be arranged locally.


An updated copy of the Aon Ltd Insurance Certificate, which should be carried by staff travelling abroad on School business, is available - see Cover  |Note for Travel| Policy PDF.  This Certificate is valid for trips commencing after 1 August 2014 and should be carried by staff travelling abroad on School business. In the event of an accident or illness, Aon Ltd will be responsible for all arrangements for treatment and repatriation and should be contacted direct.

The policy excludes travel to disturbed areas, which are detailed on the Foreign & Commonwealth Office| website. Cover can be arranged for travel to disturbed areas but this needs to be agreed in advance of any trip and may be subject to an additional premium.

If anybody is intending to travel to any of the disturbed areas then they must notify Kristy Rottenberry|, x5312 as soon as they are aware of the trip, so that she can liaise with insurers to try to arrange cover.

In the event of an outbreak of hostilities or the Foreign & Commonwealth Office| issue advice against travelling to any territory, which is not on the FCO list, guidance should be sought from the Leading Insurer.

Hostilities shall mean conflict between nations, invasion, act of foreign enemy, civil war, military or usurped power.

Where there is a known possibility of an insured person travelling to a disturbed area or war zone details must be submitted to the insurer for acceptance. The following information is to be provided:

  1. Country/countries being visited.
  2. Which parts of the country/countries are being visited?
  3. What is the purpose of the visit and activity of the Insured Person?
  4. Duration of visit (Date of departure & date of return to UK).
  5. Is there any flying in private or military aircraft?

Claim Procedure

For proprty, employer and public liability insurance, departments should notify School Security in the first instance about loss or injury as soon as possible. Some of the claims will involve the School's Estates and Health & Safety team to evaluate and provide remedial actions. The claim will then be forwarded to Kristy Rottenberry.

For all other claims, please contact Kristy Rottenberry 020 7107 5312 in the first instance.