Understand your Mailbox Quota
All LSE staff and students are allocated a standard 50GB space for their Outlook files, including email messages, contacts, calendar items, tasks list, etc. and all attachments. While this may sound enormous, if you tend to store photos, videos, sound files and other types of large attachments here, rather than saving such attachments elsewhere, in time you may outgrow even this space. You will receive automatic messages if your mailbox approaches your quota. If you don't delete items, eventually you will be unable to send, or even receive messages.
All staff and students
To see the size of your mailbox
You can easily view the size of your mailbox by clicking on the File tab. Under Mailbox cleanup, a blue bar demonstrating the amount of space you have used will be displayed.
NOTE: if the overall size of your mailbox is less than 49.5 GB, please contact the IT Service Desk (x5000).
To see the size of your mailbox and individual folders
1. With Outlook open, click on the File tab.
2. Click on the Cleanup Tools button.
3. Click Mailbox Cleanup...
The Mailbox Cleanup dialog box is displayed
4. Click on the View Mailbox Size... button. The Folder Size dialog box is displayed with a list of all the subfolders in alphabetical order and their size in KB.
What makes the mailbox so big
Your main email folder is the Inbox. Your Inbox is located inside your mailbox along with the other folders that are created by Outlook to store information. Other folders that contain email include Deleted Items, Drafts, and Sent Items along with any other folders and subfolders you may have created yourself. Knowing how much space is being taken up by them is your first step towards keeping your mailbox trim. Knowing individual message size can help you as you work to control the overall size of your mailbox. In your Inbox you can group messages by size.
Arranging email messages by size
Knowing individual message size can help you as you work to control the overall size of your mailbox. In your Inbox you can group messages by size.
To arrange email messages by size:
1. Click on the View tab.
2. Within the Arrangement group, click on the drop-down arrow to display More sorting and grouping options.
3. Click on Size. Your messages will be sorted into groups such as Huge (1 - 5 MB), Large (100 - 500 KB), Medium (25 - 100 KB) and Small (10 - 25 KB)
Display Message Size Field
You may want to check the size of individual messages. The message size field can easily be added to your Inbox or any other Outlook mail folder.
To display the message size field:
1. Click on the View tab.
2. Within the Arrangement group, click on Add Columns.
3. Scroll down the list of Available columns until the Size field is displayed.
4. Select Size and then click on the Add button. The Size column will be added to the list titled Show these columns in this order
5. Click OK. The Size column will be displayed.
6. To sort the message list by size, click on the Size column header. Clicking a second time alternates the list between ascending and descending order of size. making it easier to find large messages.
Any messages over 500 KB will probably have attachments. You should consider whether or not you need to keep the attachment with the message, as saving it and then deleting it from the message (or simply deleting it from the message if you already have a copy of the file) will release space on your Mailbox.
To save or delete attachments:
1. Open the message and right click on an attachment.
2. Remove Attachment will permanently delete it. (Start by selecting all attachments in the message to remove them all in one go.)
3. Save each attachment individually by clicking Save As. To save all attachments at once, click Save All Attachments. The Save All Attachments dialog box opens.
4. Click OK. A second Save All Attachment dialog box opens, allowing you to select where the attachments are saved.
5. Navigate to the location required and click OK. Copies of each of the attachments are saved in the location specified. Note that they have NOT been deleted from the message.
6. Select all the attachments, right-click again and click Remove Attachment to permanently delete them from the message.
Unwanted Mail Messages
You should also regularly delete unwanted messages in your Inbox, subfolders and Sent Items folder. Deleting unwanted email messages is an excellent way to reduce the size of your mailbox make it easier for you to work with
To delete unwanted mail messages:
1. From the Inbox or other Outlook mail folder, select the messages you want to delete:
Data Table Information
click on the message you wish to delete
Multiple contiguous messages:
click on the first message you wish to delete, hold down the [Shift] key and click on the last message you wish to delete, before releasing the [Shift] key.
Multiple non-contiguous messages:
click on each of the other messages you wish to delete, before releasing the [Ctrl] key .click on the first message you wish to delete, hold down the [Ctrl] key and
2. Press Delete on the keyboard.